1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservative force vs nonConservative force

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    In a given displacement of a particle, its kinetic energy increases by 25 J while its potential energy decreases by 10 J. Determine the work of the nonconservative forces acting on the particle during this displacement.
    a. –15 J b. +35 J c. +15 J d. –35 J e. +55 J

workdone by non-conservative force
    =change in mechanical energy
    =25-10
    =15

Hence I expect the answer to be c, but it turns up to be a, what is the reason?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I agree with you. It should be c) +15J.

4. Nov 13, 2008 #3
    The answer is -15 joules because the non-conservative force (I'm assuming friction) was acting opposite the direction of movement.

Friction is fighting whatever force is moving that object, and friction is losing. The loser in a force fight does negative work.

Think of it like this: Darth Vader always does positive work, because he always wins every fight. Whoever fights Vader does negative work, because Vader PWNS THEM every time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?