Conservative system <-> time independent potential?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between conservative forces and time-independent potential energy. It is stated that while conservative forces are typically associated with time-independent potential energy, there are cases where the potential energy is time-dependent and the force is still considered conservative. However, it is noted that in these cases, energy is not conserved. The conversation concludes by discussing the definition of conservative forces and how it relates to energy conservation.
Coffee_
Is it possible that the potential energy depends on the time and the system is conservative?

Let me elaborate. Consider a function ##U(\vec{r},t)## and consider the case where the forces in space at any moment are given by ##\vec{F}=-\nabla{U}##. So in this case, according to the definition of conservative, the force field is conservative.

However the energy is time dependent ( since the Lagrangian would be time dependent the energy is not conserved ).

QUESTION: Often I have seen conservative and time-independent potential energy used interchangably. As you see, it seems to be not the case. So what's the real connection between conservative and time independent?

Physics news on Phys.org
A mass attached to a spring that is allowed to oscillate up and down (in the absence of air resistance) seems to fit your parameters.

AlephNumbers said:
A mass attached to a spring that is allowed to oscillate up and down (in the absence of air resistance) seems to fit your parameters.

What? I'm not sure I follow. The potential energy in that case is only a function of the position, not time explicitly.

assed said:
Yes, Cofee_ you are right. the case mentioned by AlephNumbers does not fit your case.
Answering your question, a conservative force is related to a time independent potential because if that is not the case energy is not conserved.
Take a look at this :
http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...me-dependent-classical-system-be-conservative
Yes I understand that energy is not conserved, but what about the definitions of a conservative force as :

"A force is conservative if there exists a function of which the force is a gradient" : See : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_force

Oh...so all you are worried about is nomenclature. Call it what you want, I call a conservative force a force that results in conservation of energy and one necessary condition is that it can be written a the gradient of a time-independent scalar function.

Related to Conservative system <-> time independent potential?

What is a conservative system?

A conservative system is a physical system in which the total energy remains constant over time. This means that the system does not lose or gain energy as it evolves.

What is a time independent potential?

A time independent potential is a potential energy function that does not change with time. This means that the potential energy at any given point in time is the same, regardless of when it is measured.

How do conservative systems relate to time independent potentials?

In a conservative system, the total energy is conserved, meaning it remains constant over time. This is possible because the potential energy is time independent, meaning it does not change with time.

What is an example of a conservative system?

A simple pendulum is an example of a conservative system. The potential energy due to gravity remains constant as the pendulum swings back and forth, and the total energy of the system is conserved.

What are the benefits of studying conservative systems and time independent potentials?

Studying conservative systems and time independent potentials allows us to understand the fundamental laws of physics, such as the conservation of energy. It also helps us analyze and predict the behavior of complex physical systems.