Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time independent potential and mechanical energy conservatio

1. Sep 3, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I was woking on a problem from Taylor Mechanics.(4.27) It reads:

Suppose that the force F(r , t) depends on the time t but stillsatisfies ∇ × F = 0. It is a mathematical fact that the work integral ∫12F(r , t) ⋅ dr (evaluated at any one time t) is independent of the path taken between the points 1 and 2. Use this to show that the time-dependent PE defined by (4.48) -∫r0rF(r' , t) ⋅ dr', for any fixed time t, has the claimed property that F(r , t) = -∇U(r , t). Can you see what goes wrong with the argument leading to Equation (4.19), that is, conservation of energy?

Equation (4.19) is nothing but Δ(T + U) = 0.

I tried to write down the gradient of (4.48) directly, but I failed because I do not know how to handle ∇∫r0rF(r' , t) ⋅ dr'. And, I think, thus I cannot see what goes wrong with the argument leading to (4.19). (I am aware of the fact that mechanical energy is no longer conserved since potential energy U depends on time)
    Can somebody help me with that gradient part, or is there any other way to do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

For the potential energy you can just consider t as unknown but fixed parameter.

The work integral is evaluated at a specific time. Does this represent realistic motion?

4. Sep 5, 2015 #3
    Alright. So in the case where r0 ≠ r, that means the object should move finite distance without change in time. This is impossible, so therefore this definition of time-dependent potential energy cannot lead to conservation of mechanical energy.

Is this right?

5. Sep 5, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right.
    At least you cannot guarantee conservation of energy for a realistic trajectory that needs some time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook