1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservative vector field; classification of derivative

1. Aug 11, 2008 #1

Prz

Dear forum-members,

Pestered by many (in my opinion, fundamental) questions and no literature at hand to answer them, I resort to posing my questions here. Let me start with the following. (Hopefully I have the correct subsection.)

I am inspecting a dynamical, autonomous and conservative system driven by a 'conservative' vector-field:
    [tex]\left\|\dot{\mathbf{x}}\right\|_1 = 0[/tex]
    (No need to specify this any further).
    If we start off with
    [tex]\left\|\mathbf{x}\right\|_1 = n[/tex]
    Then the system we inspect is a vector-field on an n-simplex.

To be honest I am in doubt about this being a proper manifold, since the tangent has to abide the conservation constraints, while the neighborhood of any point in the state space is not perfectly Euclidean.
    In line with this: how accurate is a Taylor-expansion of a subspace cut off at the m-th term?

Any response would be very much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2008 #2

Prz

Let me address one topic at a time, and let me put the first issue differently.

Is a space
    [tex]\Delta^r = \{ \mathbf{y} \; | \mathbf{y} \in R^r, \sum_i y_i = n \; \}[/tex]
    a proper manifold?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?