1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conserved quantity for a particle in Magnetic Field

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a particle of mass m and electric charge e moving in a uniform magnetic field given by B = Bẑ. Then the Lagrangian is given by:

[tex]L = \frac{m}{2}(x'^2 + y'^2 + z'^2) + \frac{Be}{2}(xy' - yx')[/tex]

Prove that [tex]Q={L} \cdot{B} + \frac{e}{2}((r \times B)(r \times B))[/tex] is a constant of motion, where L = r x p is the angular momentum.

3. The attempt at a solution

I proceeded to calculate the conjugated momenta,

[tex]Px = mx' - ey/2[/tex]
    [tex]Py = my' + ex/2[/tex]
    [tex]Pz = mz'[/tex]

Then I calculated the Hamiltonian. A lot of terms vanished and I ended up with just kinetic energy.

[tex]H = \frac{m}{2} (x'^2 + y'^2 + z'^2)[/tex] which is a conserved quantity.

I was expecting to also end up with a term for the potential. Is this caused by the fact that the magnetic field does no work on the particle so it doesn't affect the total energy?

I expressed the hamiltonian in terms of the generalized momenta:

[tex]H= \frac{m}{2}(Px^2 + Py^2 + Pz^2 + \frac{(Be^2)(x^2+y^2)}{4}+eB(yPx-xPy))[/tex]

I tried re-arranging Q in terms of the vector position r = xî + yĵ + zk , while p would correspond to m(x' + y' + z')

After doing dot and cross product operations, I ended up with the following expression for Q:

[tex]Q = (xy' - yx')B + (e{B^2}/2) (x^2 + y^2)[/tex]

which doesn't depend on z nor z', which gives me trouble when relating terms to the hamiltonian.

Is there any flaw in my procedure? I've tried rearranging terms, playing with algebra, but I don't come up with anything satisfactory.

Also, is the quantity Q a well known quantity? Is there something too obvious I'm missing here?

Thanks for your help. It is really, really appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In a uniform magnetic field, the scalar potential ##\phi## can be chosen to be zero. The vector potential ##\textbf{A}## can be chosen as ##\textbf{A} = \textbf{B} \times \textbf{r}/2 ##, so you could express the Hamiltonian in terms of the vector potential if you wished.

It all looks ok to me. Try taking the time derivative of ##Q## and see if it equals zero.

4. Apr 13, 2013 #3
    Thanks a lot TSny, according to what I calculated, using E-L equations, its derivative indeed equals to zero. I got lost trying to rearrange the Hamiltonian, I should have checked the derivative of Q at first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted