1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Consider a spherical wave Show that E obeys maxwell's equations

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a simple spherical wave, with omega/k=c

E(r, theta, phi, t)=((A sin theta)/r)(cos(kr - omega t) -(1/kr)sin(kr - omega t)) phi-hat

i) Using Faraday's law, find the associated magnetic field B
    ii) Show that E obeys the remaining three of Maxwell's equations

3. The attempt at a solution

It's part b I am stuck on. I tried to prove it obeys div E=ro/epsilon0

I tried to do div E in spherical coordinates but I don't know how to when I don't know how to differentiate it with respect to phi because the equation given for E doesn't contain phi. i also don't know how ro is related to any of the terms in the equation for E. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it doesn't contain phi, then obviously the derivative of E wrt it is 0...

4. Nov 13, 2011 #3
    I am now stuck on proving that the wave obey's the Ampere-Maxwell law. I tried to prove that curl B=0. It doesn't. Did I make a mistake in calculating, or is this the wrong approach to take to the question?

5. Nov 13, 2011 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is B equal to ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook