Prove that phase-conjugate waves satisfy Maxwell's equations

In summary: I am sorry I am not familiar with the expression that "be time-dependent by a factor". Do you mean the fields need the extra phase-term?The idea is to consider fields with harmonic time dependence, i.e., for any field ##f## and ansatz is made of the form$$f(t,\vec{x})=f_0(\omega,\vec{x}) \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t).$$Does this type of field represent a monochromatic wave?Yes, it's often expressed in this way. One should however be aware of the fact that color is a physiological notion, which is much more complicated than
Haorong Wu
Homework Statement
Let ##\mathbf E =\mathbf E_0 ( \mathbf r) e^{-i \omega t}##, ##\mathbf H =\mathbf H_0 ( \mathbf r) e^{-i \omega t}## be some solutions of the Maxwell equations. If the medium is not absorbing, then prove that the phase-conjugate waves $$\mathbf E_{PC} =\mathbf E_0^* ( \mathbf r) e^{-i \omega t}, \mathbf H_{PC} =\mathbf H_0^* ( \mathbf r) e^{-i \omega t} $$ also satisfy the Maxwell equation.
Relevant Equations
Maxwell equations
This is the second part of a problem. In the first part of the problem, I have proven that ##\mathbf E^* =\mathbf E_0^* ( \mathbf r) e^{i \omega t}## satisfies the Maxwell equations.

Then, in this part of the problem, I tried to first prove that ##\mathbf E^{'} =\mathbf E_0 ( \mathbf r) e^{i \omega t}## satisfies the Maxwell equations, since by conjugation, the waves in the question would satisfy the Maxwell equations.

Now, ##\mathbf E^{'} =\mathbf E_0 ( \mathbf r) e^{i \omega t}=\mathbf E_0 ( \mathbf r) e^{-i \omega t}e^{2i \omega t}=\mathbf E e^{2i \omega t}##. Similarly, ##\mathbf B^{'} =\mathbf B e^{2i \omega t}##.

Substitute them into ##\nabla \times \mathbf E + \frac {\partial \mathbf B} {\partial t}=0## yields $$(\nabla \times \mathbf E)e^{2i \omega t}+ \frac {\partial \mathbf B} {\partial t} e^{2i \omega t} + \mathbf B \cdot 2i \omega e^{2i \omega t} =0$$

Since ##\mathbf E =\mathbf E_0 ( \mathbf r) e^{-i \omega t}##, ##\mathbf H =\mathbf H_0 ( \mathbf r) e^{-i \omega t}## are some solutions of the Maxwell equations, then ##(\nabla \times \mathbf E)+ \frac {\partial \mathbf B} {\partial t} =0##, leaving $$ \mathbf B \cdot 2i \omega =0$$.

I do not know where I did wrong.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
##\mathbf B## is only function of ##\mathbf r##

Abhishek11235 said:
##\mathbf B## is only function of ##\mathbf r##
I am sorry I do not follow you. ##\mathbf B## is proportional to ##\mathbf H##. Since ##\mathbf H =\mathbf H_0 ( \mathbf r) e^{-i \omega t}##, ##\mathbf B## should depend on ##t##, as well.

In this case all fields are assumed to be time-dependent by a factor ##\exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t)##.

vanhees71 said:
In this case all fields are assumed to be time-dependent by a factor ##\exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t)##.
Thanks!. But I am sorry I am not familiar with the expression that "be time-dependent by a factor". Do you mean the fields need the extra phase-term?

Likes Delta2
The idea is to consider fields with harmonic time dependence, i.e., for any field ##f## and ansatz is made of the form
$$f(t,\vec{x})=f_0(\omega,\vec{x}) \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t).$$

Likes Delta2
vanhees71 said:
The idea is to consider fields with harmonic time dependence, i.e., for any field ##f## and ansatz is made of the form
Does this type of field represent a monochromatic wave?

I don't like "monochromatic", but yes, it's often expressed in this way. One should however be aware of the fact that color is a physiological notion, which is much more complicated than the frequency of a plane-wave mode of the electromagnetic field!

Likes kent davidge
vanhees71 said:

I solved the problem in other way. I noted that the phase-conjugate wave travels in the opposite direction, or equivalently, travels with a time-inversal. So the time derivatives in the Maxwell equations become ##\partial _{-t}##. Then the problem is solved.

I am not sure whether this method is connected to your statement.

Thanks, @vanhees71 .

Likes vanhees71 and Delta2

1. What are phase-conjugate waves?

Phase-conjugate waves are a type of electromagnetic wave that have the unique property of reversing the direction of their propagation. This means that the wave appears to travel backwards in time, but in reality it is simply a reversal of the direction of the wave's phase.

2. How do phase-conjugate waves relate to Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations describe the fundamental laws of electromagnetism, including the behavior of electromagnetic waves. Phase-conjugate waves are a solution to these equations, meaning that they satisfy all of the mathematical requirements set forth by Maxwell's equations.

3. What is the significance of phase-conjugate waves satisfying Maxwell's equations?

The fact that phase-conjugate waves satisfy Maxwell's equations is significant because it demonstrates that these waves are a valid and consistent solution to the fundamental laws of electromagnetism. This provides a strong theoretical foundation for the use of phase-conjugate waves in various applications.

4. Can phase-conjugate waves be used to violate the laws of causality?

No, phase-conjugate waves do not violate the laws of causality. While they may appear to travel backwards in time, they are simply a reversal of the direction of the wave's phase and do not actually violate the laws of physics.

5. How are phase-conjugate waves generated?

Phase-conjugate waves can be generated using various techniques, such as nonlinear optics or stimulated Brillouin scattering. These methods involve manipulating the properties of a medium to produce a wave that has the phase-conjugate property.