1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Consider the time-dependent Schrodiner equation

1. Apr 29, 2012 #1
    "Consider the time-dependent Schrodiner equation ..."

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the time-dependent Schrodinger equation

ih2ψt = [-h2/(2m)]ψxx + V(x)ψ​

which is the underlying equation of quantum mechanics. Here V(x) is a given potential, h is the Planck's constant, and m is the mass of the particle. ψ(x,t) is the amplitude of the wave that the particle traces out. i=√(-1) is the imaginary unit.

(a) Use the separation of variable ψ(x,t)=u(x)exp(-iEt/h) to derive the time-independent Schrodiner equation which governs u(x). Show that the resulting equation is a Sturm-Louiville eigenvalue problem with

p(x) = h2/(2m), q(x) = V(x), r(x) = 1, λ=E.​

The eigenvalue E represents the energy of the particle.

(b) Solve the Sturm-Louiville eigenvalue problem in the domain -1 < x < 1 with zero potential and homogenous Dirichlet boundary conditions. Sketch the ground state (the lowest non-zero energy state). What is the energy?

(c) Without further calculation, explain what would happen to the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues if the domain is cut in half, i.e. 0 < x < 1, with new boundary conditions u(0)=u(1)=0.

2. Relevant equations

A Sturm-Louville eigenvalue problem has the form

-p(x)u''(x)-p'(x)u'(x)+q(x)=λr(x)u(x)​

3. The attempt at a solution

Part (a) is trivial. For part (b), doesn't "zero potential" mean V(x)=0, in which case I seem to get a trivial solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2012 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Re: "Consider the time-dependent Schrodiner equation ..."

The Schrodinger's Equation with [itex]V(x,t) = 0[/itex] is the free particle situation. The solution is not trivial, though, but very easy to determine.

4. Apr 29, 2012 #3

How is that not trivial?

5. Apr 29, 2012 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well, what does the Schrodinger Equation look like with [itex]V(x,t) = 0[/itex] and the time dependence accounted for by the [itex]e^{{{-i\hbar E}\over{t}}}[/itex]?

6. Apr 29, 2012 #5

-h2/(2m) * u''(x) = E * u(x).

If V(x) = 0, then which implies that u(x) = kei(√(2mE)/h)x

7. Apr 29, 2012 #6

Hang on a moment! I'm not sure if this is correct, but I figured out that we'll only have a ψ(x,t)≠0 if √(2mE)/h = (2n+1)/2 for some integer n≥0. Is that correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook