Consider this matrix and comment on its surjectivity and injectivity

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: A) is a multiple of \begin{bmatrix} 0\\ 0\\ 0\\ 1\end{bmatrix}It means that for every vector in A, there is a multiple of \begin{bmatrix} 0\\ 0\\ 0\\ 1\end{bmatrix}.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 6\\
0& 1 & 0 & 2\\
0& 0 & 1& 3\\
0 & 0& 0& 0
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Consider the matrix (above) and comment whether it is "one to one" and "onto"

Book solution

My book says: Because not every column is a pivot column, therefore there exists a nontrivial solution which therefore is not one to one. Also, since the matrix does not have a pivot column in every row, the column matrix does not span R4 and therefore it is not onto

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the book. So what if it doesn't have a pivot column in every row? This is a coefficient matrix, what if the augmented column has a 0 at the "corner" of the matrix? Wouldn't that imply there must only be one solution and hence the trivial solution?

Since there exists (or at least could be) one solution, then it must be one to one. Why did the book ignore this possibility?

I am also guessing since this matrix does not Span R4, it cannot be onto

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 6\\
0& 1 & 0 & 2\\
0& 0 & 1& 3\\
0 & 0& 0& 0
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Consider the matrix (above) and comment whether it is "one to one" and "onto"

Book solution

My book says: Because not every column is a pivot column, therefore there exists a nontrivial solution which therefore is not one to one. Also, since the matrix does not have a pivot column in every row, the column matrix does not span R4 and therefore it is not onto

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the book. So what if it doesn't have a pivot column in every row? This is a coefficient matrix, what if the augmented column has a 0 at the "corner" of the matrix?
That's not what you're calling an augmented column, which would be the column of constants on the right sides of the equations this matrix would represent.

This matrix represents a system of three equations in four unknowns. Since the matrix is in RREF form, I can see that there is one free variable, and that the other three variables are defined in terms of this free variable.

Based on the book's answer, this is the correct interpretation of what this matrix means (that it is not an augmented matrix).

If we call the variables x, y, z, and w, the RREF form of the matrix says that x = -6w, y = -2w, z = -3w, and w = itself. Since w is arbitrary, there are an infinite number of solutions to the equation Ax = 0, where A is your 4x4 matrix.

flyingpig said:
Wouldn't that imply there must only be one solution and hence the trivial solution?

Since there exists (or at least could be) one solution, then it must be one to one. Why did the book ignore this possibility?

I am also guessing since this matrix does not Span R4, it cannot be onto
Saying that a 4x4 matrix does or does not span R4 makes no sense at all. It does make sense to say whether the columns or rows span R4.

What does it even mean for a row to span some Rn, I actually thought they meant column because I didn't think row spanning exists.

Suppose you had this matrix:
[tex]A = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0& 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0& 0 & 1& 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

This matrix could be viewed as the representation of a transformation from R4 to R3.

The columns, viewed as vectors in R3, span R3. Since there are four columns, there are too many vectors for them to be linearly independent, so the four vectors don't form a basis for R3.

The rows, viewed as vectors in R4, can't span R4, because there are only three of them. These three vectors are linearly independent, so they span a three-dimensional subspace of R4. This subspace is the image or range of the transformation. Every vector v such that v = Au is a linear combination of the rows of A.

Another subspace worth mentioning is the nullspace or kernel of A. Every vector u such that Au = 0 is in the kernel of A. Solving the equation Au = 0 gives x = 0, y = 0, z = 0, and w is arbitrary. This means that every vector in ker(A) is a multiple of
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 0\\ 0 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Mark44 said:
Suppose you had this matrix:
[tex]A = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0& 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0& 0 & 1& 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

This matrix could be viewed as the representation of a transformation from R4 to R3.

What do you mean from R4 to R3? Surely it cannot be because there are four vectors right...?

The columns, viewed as vectors in R3, span R3. Since there are four columns, there are too many vectors for them to be linearly independent, so the four vectors don't form a basis for R3.

Hold on, does that mean in general that if a set is linearly independent, they can span a "new" dimension?

Let me try to elaborate

Let's say I have an n x m matrix and of course m < n. This set does not have a zero vector, none of them are multiple scalars of each other, and none of them can be written as a linear combination of each other (I am trying to rule out every possibities of being linearly dependent here, so if i miss one pretend I added it already) and hence this set is a linearly independent set.

So if this matrix has say n entries and rows, then does that mean regardless of what m is, this set can span Rn

The rows, viewed as vectors in R4, can't span R4, because there are only three of them.

How would you even interpret them...?

Ex. [tex]\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 2 &3 & 4\\
2& 3 &4 & 5
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

I read them as x + y + 3z = 4 and 2x + 3y + 4z = 5

But when you say row viewed as vectors do you mean

x + 2y + 3z = 4 and 2x + 3y + 4z = 5?

These three vectors are linearly independent, so they span a three-dimensional subspace of R4. This subspace is the image or range of the transformation. Every vector v such that v = Au is a linear combination of the rows of A.

Another subspace worth mentioning is the nullspace or kernel of A. Every vector u such that Au = 0 is in the kernel of A. Solving the equation Au = 0 gives x = 0, y = 0, z = 0, and w is arbitrary. This means that every vector in ker(A) is a multiple of
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 0\\ 0 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
I am sorry, but beyond this point, I have no idea what you are talking about LOL. I am using David Lays LA book if that helps...

flyingpig said:
What do you mean from R4 to R3? Surely it cannot be because there are four vectors right...?
The matrix I gave represents a map from R4 to R3. Take any vector x in R4. Form the product Ax. The result is a vector in from R3.
flyingpig said:
Hold on, does that mean in general that if a set is linearly independent, they can span a "new" dimension?
If a set of m vectors in, say, R4, is linearly independent, these vectors span a subspace of dimension m, where 1 <= m <= n. I am assuming that your set has at least one nonzero vector in it.
flyingpig said:
Let me try to elaborate

Let's say I have an n x m matrix and of course m < n. This set
What set? You have a matrix. Are you talking about the columns, as vectors in Rm, or the rows, as vectors in Rn.

Please be more specific and try to minimize the use of vague pronouns such as "it", "they", and so on.
flyingpig said:
does not have a zero vector, none of them are multiple scalars of each other, and none of them can be written as a linear combination of each other (I am trying to rule out every possibities of being linearly dependent here, so if i miss one pretend I added it already) and hence this set is a linearly independent set.

So if this matrix has say n entries and rows, then does that mean regardless of what m is, this set can span Rn
The only way a matrix can have n entries and n rows is for it to be a column vector.
flyingpig said:
How would you even interpret them...?

Ex. [tex]\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 2 &3 & 4\\
2& 3 &4 & 5
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

I read them as x + y + 3z = 4 and 2x + 3y + 4z = 5
You are assuming that this matrix is an augmented matrix, and there is no justification for this assumption.

This matrix could just as easily be the matrix for this system of equations:
x + 2y + 3z + 4w = 0
2x + 3y + 4z + 5w = 0
flyingpig said:
But when you say row viewed as vectors do you mean

x + 2y + 3z = 4 and 2x + 3y + 4z = 5?
No, not at all.
The rows in your matrix are vectors in R4; namely
<1, 2, 3, 4> and <2, 3, 4, 5>

The columns are vectors in R2; namely
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1\\2\end{bmatrix}, \begin{bmatrix}2\\3\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}3\\4\end{bmatrix}, \text{and} \begin{bmatrix}4\\5\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
flyingpig said:
I am sorry, but beyond this point, I have no idea what you are talking about LOL. I am using David Lays LA book if that helps...

I'm not convinced you understood what I was saying before that point, either.:wink:

Mark44 said:
No, not at all.
The rows in your matrix are vectors in R4; namely
<1, 2, 3, 4> and <2, 3, 4, 5>

Sorry for the late response, but the lag was insane yesterday and the day before...

But isn't <1,2,3,4> implying we are in R4? I thought the column vectors determine what R we are in.

flyingpig said:
Sorry for the late response, but the lag was insane yesterday and the day before...
Yeah, it's been pretty bad since Saturday, but seems to be back to normal now.
flyingpig said:
But isn't <1,2,3,4> implying we are in R4? I thought the column vectors determine what R we are in.
Your question doesn't make much sense. We aren't "in" anyone place. This matrix -
[tex]A = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 2 &3 & 4\\ 2& 3 &4 & 5\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

is a linear transformation from R4 to R2. IOW, this matrix acts like a function that takes a vector in R4 and maps it to a vector in the plane (R2).

The domain of this transformation is all of R4: you can multiply any vector in R4 by this matrix. The rows, being that there are only two of them (and that they are linearly independent), span a two-dimensional subspace of R4. That doesn't mean that they are vectors in R2. On the contrary, they have four components.

I haven't worked it out, but I suspect that the range of this transformation is all of R2, meaning that no matter what vector v = <a, b> you pick, there is some vector u in R4 such that Au = v.

No I was referring to the "row vector" thing

What's your question? I thought I had covered what you asked about.

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns.

What is surjectivity?

Surjectivity, also known as onto, is a property of a function where every element in the range of the function is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. In other words, every output has at least one corresponding input.

What is injectivity?

Injectivity, also known as one-to-one, is a property of a function where no two distinct elements in the domain are mapped to the same element in the range. In other words, every input has a unique output.

What does it mean for a matrix to be surjective?

A matrix is surjective if every column of the matrix contains at least one pivot position. This means that every element in the target space is mapped to by at least one element in the domain.

What does it mean for a matrix to be injective?

A matrix is injective if every column of the matrix contains at most one pivot position. This means that every element in the target space is mapped to by at most one element in the domain.