Considering Masters in Engineering but need some help

In summary, the speaker is a junior at UC Berkeley with a 3.6 GPA and was originally planning on pursuing a physics PhD, but is now considering a master's degree in engineering, specifically aerospace or mechanical. They are wondering if it is possible to attend a good/very good graduate school with their current circumstances. The speaker is also inquiring about taking applied courses and possibly changing their major to engineering physics at UCB.
berkdude022
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if I could get some help with regards to a possible change of plans. I am currently a junior at UC Berkeley majoring in physics with a ~3.6 gpa. My original plan was to pursue a physics PhD but I may wish to apply for a masters degree in engineering specifically aerospace or mechanical. Is it possible to attend a good/very good graduate school under my circumstances? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
berkdude022 said:
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if I could get some help with regards to a possible change of plans. I am currently a junior at UC Berkeley majoring in physics with a ~3.6 gpa. My original plan was to pursue a physics PhD but I may wish to apply for a masters degree in engineering specifically aerospace or mechanical. Is it possible to attend a good/very good graduate school under my circumstances? Thank you!

Have you taken any applied courses? Is it still possible for you to take engineering electives?

How about a change of major? The engineering physics program at UCB is supposedly very good.

1. What are the benefits of obtaining a Masters in Engineering?

A Masters in Engineering can offer numerous benefits, including advanced technical knowledge and skills, increased job opportunities and higher earning potential, and the opportunity to specialize in a specific area of engineering. It can also provide networking opportunities and the chance to work on cutting-edge research projects.

2. How long does it typically take to complete a Masters in Engineering?

The length of a Masters in Engineering program can vary, but it typically takes 1-2 years of full-time study to complete. Part-time options may be available, which can extend the length of the program.

3. What are the admission requirements for a Masters in Engineering program?

Admission requirements can vary between universities, but common requirements may include a bachelor's degree in a related field, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and satisfactory GRE scores. Some programs may also require relevant work experience.

4. Can I pursue a Masters in Engineering if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Masters in Engineering with a different undergraduate degree. Some programs may require prerequisite coursework in math, science, or engineering, while others may offer bridge or preparatory courses for students without a relevant undergraduate degree.

5. What career opportunities are available after completing a Masters in Engineering?

A Masters in Engineering can open up a variety of career opportunities, including roles in research and development, design, project management, and consulting. Graduates may also have the opportunity to work in different industries, such as aerospace, automotive, or renewable energy.