Consonants in English: Pronunciation Differences

• Thread starter fxdung
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary, English vowels are short compare with that in monosylable word languages, but consonants are pronounced without length.
fxdung
In English, consonants are pronounced longer and more gentle than that in monosylable word language(example:Vietnamese).Except in grammatical words in English the consonants pronounced relative short.

Is that right?

I notice that English vowels are short compare with that in monosylable word languages

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
In modern English phonetics, there is no "length" of consonants. They are classified only with respect to the place and way of articulation.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint and Astronuc
I've heard the different vowel sounds described as "short" and "Long". The Long sounds sounded like the name of the letter, so "Abraham" has a long A at the beginning, and the others are short. This has nothing to do with the time devoted to vocalizing each sound - I don't think English uses thaaaaaaat.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
fxdung said:
Except in grammatical words in English the consonants pronounced relative short.
I don't remember ever seeing the term "grammatical words", so I Googled it. Do you mean as in the following quote?

https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/oi/authority.20110810105017258

Words for which the primary function is to indicate grammatical relationships, as distinct from lexical words, the primary function of which is referential (content words). Grammatical words include articles, pronouns, and conjunctions. Lexical words include nouns, verbs, and adjectives.

I suppose grammatical words also include prepositions (e.g. in, on, of).

My impression is that in English, such words are usually spoken without emphasis and are often indistinct or less distinct than other words. This could include, or at least be interpreted as, making the consonants shorter. This is purely a matter of speech patterns, and has no grammatical or lexical significance as far as I know.

Last edited:
I mean grammatical words as you say in #5

During the time tongue moves from the first position to the taget(final) position to make consonant, is there air flow through the mouth or not?Eg I hear the word "at" as "a"+very short silent+"stop t+slight air flow".There is a very very short silency between vowel a and consonant t(it seem to me).

While this doesn't explicitly talk about airflow, it does show acoustic charts of pronunciation:

https://physicstoday.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/PT.3.3523

and here's an article on how the vocal cords work:

https://ecampusontario.pressbooks.pub/essentialsoflinguistics/chapter/2-2-how-humans-produce-speech/

and finally, this one where they get into airflow a bit:

https://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/jw/speech.html

As an aside, I learned today that its "vocal cords" for American English and not "vocal chords" even though in music we say "chords" for groupings of notes.

Likes pinball1970 and dextercioby
jedishrfu said:
While researching the question, I also discovered some singer vocal ranges. Mariah Carey takes home the prize for largest vocal register of 5 octaves where at the highest notes, some dogs can't hear them.

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/singer-vocal-ranges/

Now back to the OP's question.
TIL:thumbup:

Likes dextercioby
Voiceless consonants have frequency being infinity or zero?

Last edited:
In English "long" and "short" indicate different vowel sounds. It has nothing to do with the length of time the vowel sounds. I believe that other languages have truly short and long sounds. Like the O in Osaka is long. But I'm not certain of that.

1. What are consonants in English?

Consonants are speech sounds that are produced by obstructing or constricting the flow of air from the lungs in some way. In English, there are 21 consonant sounds.

2. What are some common pronunciation differences for consonants in English?

Some common pronunciation differences for consonants in English include the difference between voiced and voiceless sounds, such as /b/ and /p/, and the difference between aspirated and unaspirated sounds, such as /p/ and /ph/.

3. How do I know if a consonant is voiced or voiceless?

A consonant is voiced if the vocal cords vibrate while producing the sound, and it is voiceless if the vocal cords do not vibrate. To determine this, you can place your fingers on your throat while saying the sound - if you feel vibration, it is voiced, and if you do not, it is voiceless.

4. What is the difference between aspirated and unaspirated consonant sounds?

Aspirated consonant sounds are pronounced with a small burst of air, while unaspirated sounds do not have this burst of air. This can change the way the sound is perceived and can sometimes change the meaning of a word, such as the difference between "pin" and "spin".

5. How can I improve my pronunciation of consonant sounds in English?

One way to improve your pronunciation of consonant sounds in English is to practice with a native speaker or a language teacher. You can also listen to and imitate recordings of native speakers, and pay attention to the placement of your tongue, lips, and teeth when producing different sounds. Additionally, practicing tongue twisters and using English pronunciation resources can also help improve your pronunciation.