1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant acceleration of an antelope

1. Mar 16, 2014 #1

An antelope moving with constant acceleration covers the distance 80.0m between
    two points in time 6.70s. Its speed as it passes the second point is 14.6 m/s.
    1) What is its speed at the first point?
    2) What is the acceleration?

First I understand that when we have (constant acceleration) that means --> Vo=0m/s

*_______________* If that was the two points , so t1=0 , t2=6.70 and the all distance is 80
    Vx=14.6
    For 1 ) I though the answer will be zero OR can we do 80/6.70=11.9 , I really have an issue to know if the speed they are talking about is v=Δx/t or they are talking about S=D/t
    2) α= Δv/Δt --> 14.6/6.70 = 2.2m/s^2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Constant acceleration doesn't mean v0=0m/s. It just means the acceleration 'a' is constant. What are formulas for displacement and velocity assuming initial velocity v0 and constant acceleration a? Something like x=v0*t is only true if there is no acceleration.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  4. Mar 16, 2014 #3
    Sorry , but I didn't get it , ok constant a , doesn't mean Vo=0
    Can you explain the Q. more for me

5. Mar 16, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can fire a toy rocket forward with constant acceleration, either starting from rest or starting from a moving car. The acceleration is the same, but the two situations give different velocities; they differ by the velocity the car had at the launch point. It's not rocket science!

6. Mar 16, 2014 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If there is no acceleration you can write the displacement as x(t)=x0+v0*t, where x0 is the initial position and v0 is the initial velocity. There is a similar expression for the case of constant acceleration. You must have seen it before. Try to find it.

7. Mar 16, 2014 #6
    Ok thank you both

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted