Constant Acceleration of police car

In summary, the conversation is discussing a scenario where one person is driving and arguing on the phone while trailing an unmarked police car. Both cars are traveling at 110km/h and the police car suddenly brakes at 5m/s^2. After 2.0s, the person takes their eye off the road and the question is asked about the separation between the two cars when their attention returns. The person initially calculates the distance to be about 20m but is advised to redo the calculation. The conversation then moves on to discussing the situation if the person also begins braking at 5m/s^2 after an additional .40s. The process for solving this is discussed, which involves finding the position and speed of both cars
blanny
Hi, this one is probably easy, but I just can't wrap my head around it.

You are arguing over a cell phone while trailing an unmarked police car by 25m; both your car and the police car are traveling 110km/h (about 31m/s). You take your eye off the road for 2.0s because of the argument. At the very beginning of the 2.0s, the police car brakes at 5m/s^2

a) what is the separation between the two cars when your attention returns?

I worked it out and I got about 20m. Is this about right?

b) Suppose you take another .40s to realize the danger and begin braking. If you too brake at 5m/s^2, what is your speed when you hit the police car?

I'm not too sure how to set this one up. I'm thinking it has to be a system of equations...

after 2.4s the distance should be 19m, but how do I set up the system from there?

The equations in the chapter are the equations for motion with constant acceleration.

thanks

Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
blanny said:
a) what is the separation between the two cars when your attention returns?

I worked it out and I got about 20m. Is this about right?
No. How did you arrive at that answer? [Note: If you show your work, you'll get better help quicker!]

One way to solve it is to set up equations for the position as a function of time for each vehicle, then see where they are after 2 seconds.

b) Suppose you take another .40s to realize the danger and begin braking. If you too brake at 5m/s^2, what is your speed when you hit the police car?

I'm not too sure how to set this one up. I'm thinking it has to be a system of equations...

after 2.4s the distance should be 19m, but how do I set up the system from there?
That distance is wrong; solve for it using the same equations as used for part a (which you need to redo).

To solve part b, first find the position and speed of both vehicles at the moment you begin braking. Then set up new equations for each vehicle and solve for the moment that they collide. (Once you have the time, you can figure out the speed.)

What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time, while maintaining a constant direction. It is often represented by the letter "a" in equations and is measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s²).

How is constant acceleration different from uniform acceleration?

Constant acceleration refers to a situation where an object's acceleration remains constant, while uniform acceleration refers to a situation where an object's velocity changes by the same amount in each unit of time. In other words, constant acceleration results in a linear change in velocity, while uniform acceleration results in a parabolic change in velocity.

How is constant acceleration calculated?

Constant acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = Δv/Δt, where "a" is the acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time. This equation can be rearranged to solve for any of the variables, given the values of the other two.

What is the significance of constant acceleration in a police car?

Constant acceleration plays a crucial role in police car pursuits, as it allows the car to quickly and efficiently reach high speeds. By maintaining a constant acceleration, the police car can reach its maximum velocity in a shorter amount of time, increasing its chances of catching a suspect.

What factors can affect the constant acceleration of a police car?

The constant acceleration of a police car can be affected by a variety of factors, including the engine power, weight of the car, road conditions, and air resistance. Additionally, the driver's skill and reaction time can also impact the acceleration of the car.