How Long for a Police Car to Catch a Speeder?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ExaltedProphecy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acceleration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 2K views
ExaltedProphecy
Messages
7
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


A police car stopped at a set of lights has had a speeder pass it at 100km/hr. if the police car can accelerate at 3.6m/s^2, how long does it take to catch up to the speeder

Homework Equations


I'm not sure what I can do with the given info

The Attempt at a Solution


Same as above
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ExaltedProphecy said:
I'm not sure what I can do with the given info
You must have been given some equations to look at? Are you using a textbook? No notes from class? This should be a plug and chug type problem.
 
there is nothing, it was a sheet online that my teacher gave to me.
We just started physics, and are currently on the unit of Motion in a straight line in kinematics. we were told to use any formulas we know (5 main kinematics) but I am not sure where to find the remaining variable
 
ExaltedProphecy said:
there is nothing, it was a sheet online that my teacher gave to me.
We just started physics, and are currently on the unit of Motion in a straight line in kinematics. we were told to use any formulas we know (5 main kinematics) but I am not sure where to find the remaining variable
What are the kinematics equations that you know?
 
there called the 5 main kinematics equations. its faster to search it up then putting them in this
 
ExaltedProphecy said:
there called the 5 main kinematics equations. its faster to search it up then putting them in this
You got to work with us. Which of the equations is your best guess to use?
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
Some other readers may be interested how you figured it out?
I put the information from the cop into 2 separate formulas. Then I substituted 1 formula into the other, creating a quadratic. I then used the quadratic formula, keeping the positive amount as my final answer