Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Constant field in the Lagrangian

1. Sep 16, 2018 at 2:03 PM #1
    Hello! If you have a Lagrangian (say of a scalar field) depending only on the field and its first derivative and you want to calculate the ground state configuration, is it necessary a constant value? I read about Spontaneous symmetry breaking having this Lagrangian $$L= \frac{1}{2}(\partial_\mu \phi)^2-\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2-\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4$$ and they say that to get the lowest energy configuration you set ##\phi## to be a constant and work from there. In the case of a particle it makes sense that a motionless particle would have less energy that a moving one at a point. but is this obvious for fields? Can't a complicate configuration bring the energy lower than a constant value? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2018 at 2:50 PM #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

You can probably answer your own question by computing the energy density of your scalar field.

4. Sep 16, 2018 at 2:57 PM #3
    Sorry I did a mistake, the term mass should be + not - (in order to get spontaneous symmetry breaking). So the energy density would be $$H= \frac{1}{2}(\partial_\mu \phi)^2-\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2+\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4$$. Is it obvious that the field must be constant?

5. Sep 16, 2018 at 2:58 PM #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

No, that is not the correct energy density. Are you familiar with how the energy-momentum tensor is derived from the Lagrangian?

6. Sep 16, 2018 at 3:06 PM #5
    I am not sure I am. But we were told that the hamiltonian density is ##H=T+V## which corresponds to the energy density (when you integrate it you get the actual hamiltonian which gives the energy for well behaved potentials). Did I miss-understand that?

7. Sep 16, 2018 at 3:08 PM #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

You are misinterpreting what ##T## is in this case so you have the wrong Hamiltonian. I suggest you look at the full expression for the energy-momentum tensor and extract the time-time component, which is the energy density.

8. Sep 16, 2018 at 5:45 PM #7
    Oh, right! So I got this for the energy density: $$\frac{1}{2}\dot{\phi}^2-\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2+\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4$$ Is it obvious that ##\phi## has to be a constant?

9. Sep 16, 2018 at 11:34 PM #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

That is also wrong. You are now missing terms.

10. Sep 17, 2018 at 9:54 AM #9
    So the way I did it is to use $$T_{\mu\nu}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)}\partial_\nu\phi-g_{\mu\nu}L$$ which gives $$T_{\mu\nu}=\partial_\mu\phi\partial_\nu\phi-g_{\mu\nu}(\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\mu \phi)^2+\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2-\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4)$$ $$T_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}\partial_\mu \phi\partial_\nu \phi-\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2+\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4$$ Now the energy density is given by $$T_{00}=\frac{1}{2}\partial_0 \phi\partial_0 \phi-\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2+\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4$$ Where is my mistake? Thank you!

11. Sep 17, 2018 at 11:54 AM #10

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

12. Sep 18, 2018 at 10:18 AM #11
    Ah, ok. So it should be like this: $$T_{00}=\frac{1}{2}\partial_0\phi\partial_0\phi+\frac{1}{2}( \partial_x\phi\partial_x\phi+\partial_y\phi\partial_y\phi+\partial_z\phi\partial_z\phi)-\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2+\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4$$ I hope this is correct now. But still, why is this a minimum for constant ##\phi##? If the mass term would have been added and not subtracted, that would have made sense, but I am not sure I see it as obvious here? Thank you and sorry for taking so long!

13. Sep 18, 2018 at 10:47 AM #12

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

The shape of the potential is irrelevant. What is relevant are the derivative terms that are always non-negative and zero only if the field is constant.

14. Sep 18, 2018 at 3:30 PM #13
    But if you have something of the form $$g(x)=f'(x)^2+f(x)$$ the minimum of $$\int g(x)$$ is not necessary when ##f=ct##

15. Sep 18, 2018 at 4:45 PM #14

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

That’s because ##f(x)## does not have a minimum. Your potential does.

16. Sep 18, 2018 at 5:32 PM #15
    Hmm that makes it more clear. However, I am still a bit confused. The potential energy minimum is not necessarily attained for a constant value of ##\phi##, I mean ##\int V(x)##. So can't it happen that for some non-constant value of ##\phi## the kinetic term will indeed get bigger (as it is non-zero anymore) but the potential gets down by a higher amount and hence ##\int T+V## it's smaller overall? Intuitively makes sense that the more you move the more energy you have, but mathematically is not really obvious to me. Can I derive this using calculus of variation, something like ##\frac{\delta E}{\delta \phi}=0## and from here infer that ##\phi## is a constant?

17. Sep 18, 2018 at 9:41 PM #16

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

If a field value is a minimum of the potential for one point, it is for all points. Hence, a constant does give you the minimal potential at every point.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted