Equivalent Klein-Gordon Lagrangians and equations of motion

In summary: The second-order variation of the Lagrangian is $$\delta^{2}\mathcal{L}=\frac{\delta^{2}\mathcal{L}}{\delta\phi(x)\delta\phi(y)}\delta\phi(x)\delta\phi(y)+\frac{\delta^{2}\mathcal{L}}{\delta\phi(x)\delta(\partial_{\mu}\phi(y))}\delta\phi(x)\delta(\partial_{\mu}\phi(y))+\frac{\delta^{2}\mathcal{L}}{
Frank Castle
Suppose one starts with the standard Klein-Gordon (KG) Lagrangian for a free scalar field: $$\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial^{\mu}\phi-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi^{2}$$ Integrating by parts one can obtain an equivalent (i.e. gives the same equations of motion) Lagrangian $$\mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{2}\phi\left(\Box +m^{2}\right)\phi$$ where ##\Box:=\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}##.

My question is, what is the correct form for the Euler-Lagrange equations in this second case? Naively, I find that $$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\phi}-\partial_{\mu}\left(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\phi)}\right)=-m^{2}\phi-\frac{1}{2}\Box\phi +0=-m^{2}\phi-\frac{1}{2}\Box\phi=0$$ which clearly isn't correct. Should the Euler-Lagrange equation be modified to $$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\phi}-\Box\left(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\Box\phi)}\right)=0\;?$$ such that $$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\phi}-\Box\left(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\Box\phi)}\right)=-m^{2}\phi-\frac{1}{2}\Box\phi
-\frac{1}{2}\Box\phi=-(\Box+m^{2})\phi =0$$
Apologies for a potentially silly question, but I'm a bit stuck on this issue.

Physics news on Phys.org
The EL equation you quote is only valid when the Lagrangian only contains first order derivatives. For the case when the Lagrangian contains higher order derivatives, you need to do additional partial integrations when deriving the corresponding equations of motion. I suggest going through the entire derivation of the EL equations in this case to see the difference.

Likes vanhees71
Orodruin said:
The EL equation you quote is only valid when the Lagrangian only contains first order derivatives. For the case when the Lagrangian contains higher order derivatives, you need to do additional partial integrations when deriving the corresponding equations of motion. I suggest going through the entire derivation of the EL equations in this case to see the difference.

Ah ok. So even if they are equivalent Lagrangians, their Euler-Lagrange equations will be different because the former contains up to first-order derivatives whereas the latter contains up to second-order derivatives.

I've had a go at deriving the Euler-Lagrange equations for a Lagrangian containing up to second-order derivatives and the form I get is: $$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\phi}-\partial_{\mu}\left(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\phi)}\right)+\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}\left(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}\phi)}\right)=0$$ assuming that ##\delta\phi=0=\delta(\partial_{\mu}\phi)## on the boundary of the spacetime volume.
Would this be correct?

Frank Castle said:
Ah ok. So even if they are equivalent Lagrangians, their Euler-Lagrange equations will be different because the former contains up to first-order derivatives whereas the latter contains up to second-order derivatives.

The resulting EL equations will be exactly the same if you include the additional terms that you need to include when there are second order derivatives in the Lagrangian. What terms in the EL equations that are non-zero will depend on which form of the Lagrangian you use - but the end result will be the same.

Frank Castle said:
I've had a go at deriving the Euler-Lagrange equations for a Lagrangian containing up to second-order derivatives and the form I get is: $$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\phi}-\partial_{\mu}\left(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\phi)}\right)+\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}\left(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}\phi)}\right)=0$$ assuming that ##\delta\phi=0=\delta(\partial_{\mu}\phi)## on the boundary of the spacetime volume.
Would this be correct?

Yes. Note that this will give you exactly the same equation of motion in the end (the KG equation).

Orodruin said:
The resulting EL equations will be exactly the same if you include the additional terms that you need to include when there are second order derivatives in the Lagrangian. What terms in the EL equations that are non-zero will depend on which form of the Lagrangian you use - but the end result will be the same.
Yes. Note that this will give you exactly the same equation of motion in the end (the KG equation).

Ok cool, thanks.

How does one compute the second-order variation? Naively, if I expand the action around the stationary solution, ##\varphi## to second order, I have: $$S[\phi]=S[\varphi]+\int\,d^{4}x\frac{\delta S[\phi]}{\delta\phi(x)}\delta\phi(x)
+\int\,d^{4}xd^{4}y\frac{\delta^{2} S[\phi]}{\delta\phi(x)\delta\phi(y)}\delta\phi(x)\delta\phi(y)+\cdots$$ The first-order term is just ##\frac{\delta S[\phi]}{\delta\phi(x)}=\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\phi}-\partial_{\mu}\left(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\phi)}\right)=(\Box +m^{2})\varphi=0##, however, what is the form of the second-order term? I assume that the second-order variation of the Lagrangian is $$\delta^{2}\mathcal{L}=\frac{\delta^{2}\mathcal{L}}{\delta\phi(x)\delta\phi(y)}\delta\phi(x)\delta\phi(y)+\frac{\delta^{2}\mathcal{L}}{\delta\phi(x)
\delta(\partial_{\mu}\phi(y))
}\delta\phi(x)\delta(\partial_{\mu}\phi(y))
+\frac{\delta^{2}\mathcal{L}}{
\delta(\partial_{\mu}\phi(x))
\delta(\partial_{\mu}\phi(y))
}
\delta(\partial_{\mu}\phi(x))
\delta(\partial_{\mu}\phi(y))$$ but I'm not sure.

1. What is the Klein-Gordon equation and how is it related to the Lagrangian formalism?

The Klein-Gordon equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of a scalar particle. It is derived from the Klein-Gordon Lagrangian, which is the Lagrangian function that governs the motion of a scalar particle in a relativistic system.

2. What is an equivalent Klein-Gordon Lagrangian and why is it useful?

An equivalent Klein-Gordon Lagrangian is a Lagrangian function that yields the same equations of motion as the original Klein-Gordon Lagrangian. It is useful because it allows us to study the behavior of a particle from a different perspective and provides alternative methods for solving the equations of motion.

3. How can we determine if two Klein-Gordon Lagrangians are equivalent?

To determine if two Klein-Gordon Lagrangians are equivalent, we can use Noether's theorem, which states that two Lagrangians are equivalent if they have the same symmetries and conserved quantities. Alternatively, we can compare the equations of motion derived from each Lagrangian and check if they are the same.

4. Can the Klein-Gordon equation be extended to describe particles with spin?

No, the Klein-Gordon equation only describes spinless particles. To describe particles with spin, we need to use the Dirac equation, which is a more general form of the Klein-Gordon equation that includes spin and is used to describe fermions.

5. Are there any applications of the Klein-Gordon equation in modern physics?

Yes, the Klein-Gordon equation is still used in modern physics to describe the behavior of scalar fields, which are important in theories such as quantum field theory and the Standard Model of particle physics. It is also used in condensed matter physics to describe the behavior of certain materials and in cosmology to model the early universe.