Constraint Matrix Role in Global Matrix Assembly

In summary, the book "Applied Finite Element Analysis" by Larry Segerlind discusses a way to integrate constraints into global stiffness and mass matrices. It is not clear which row/column operation is performed based on constraint matrix input in the global matrices.
Ronankeating
Dear All,

I'm very familiar with the composition of finite element local stiffness, mass matrices as per any arbitrary element rod, beam, plate, shell and integration of it into a global stiffness matrix. But I find it but of an obscure on how to integrate the constraint matrix into the global stiffness and mass matrices. It's an obvious that some DOFs are constrained, expressed in the form of another DOFs and stored in that constraint matrix but it is not clear for me which row/column operation is performed based on constraint matrix input in the global matrices.

Probably it resembles very much to the Guyan reduction, since its a simple form of reduction, but I couldn't find any example on net which shows the explicit way of implementing it, I will be very pleased if someone sheds some light on that.

Regards,

Engineering news on Phys.org
I recommend the book, 'Applied Finite Element Analysis', 2. ed., by Larry Segerlind.

Here is a link to a pdf copy:

ftp://161.53.116.242/Predavanja_vjezbe_programi_rokovi/Metoda%20konacnih%20elemenata/Finite%20Element%20Method%20%28FEM%29%20Collection/Applied%20Finite%20Element%20Analysis%20-%20Larry%20J.%20Segerlind.pdf

If you look at Appendix 3, pages 417-420, the author shows how the stiffness matrix is modified to accommodate the constraints imposed.

Thank you in advance SteamKing,

That's another book worth reading which was not in my FEM library.
After reading the suggested Appendix couple of questions comes in mind. The example given is fairly straightforward and easy to understand for the targeted displacements, it gives clear solution to the symmetric matrices which is general in engineering problems. But,
1.) Is that technique valid for non-symmetric matrices ?

2.) Even having the Fortran flexibilities on matrix row/column manipulation, technique requires manipulation per inner-product of matrix which I believe is a lot of work on computer side (e.g. many nested "for" loops). Right?

3.) How about if we are trying to solve problem where Phi_1, Phi_2 and Phi_4(regarding the given example in the book) are constrained relatively to each other (i.e. Phi_1=Phi_2=Phi_4). That is another way of expressing the rigid diaphragms where you can assume in practice that those DOFs are similar and can be represented in identical fashion. Which path do I have to follow then ?

Regards,

1. I'm not sure how to answer this question. AFAIK, FEM always generates banded symmetric stiffness matrices. However, Boundary Element Methods (BEM) generate non-banded stiffness matrices which are fully populated (i.e., there are no zeroes).

2. The Segerlind book gives many example routines. You should be able to examine these and judge for yourself how computationally intensive applying constraints to the stiffness matrix is. Formation of the stiffness matrix and application of the constraints takes only a relatively small amount of time. The solution of the stiffness equations is where the major computational effort takes place.

3. I really can't help you here. It has been many years since I went thru the Segerlind book when I taught myself about implementing FEM. There are many other books which delve into the guts of FEM.
Consult the references here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_element_method

The books by Zienkiewitz and Bathe delve into many different applications of FEM; they may discuss its application to your particular problem. There are many sites on the net, and there are many other books which take an approach similar to Segerlind in looking at how to program the FEM for various problems.

Thank you in advance,

1. What is a constraint matrix in the context of global matrix assembly?

A constraint matrix is a mathematical tool used in global matrix assembly to represent any constraints or boundary conditions that must be satisfied in a system. It is a matrix of coefficients that relates the degrees of freedom in a system to the constraints imposed on them.

2. How does the constraint matrix affect the global matrix assembly process?

The constraint matrix plays a crucial role in the global matrix assembly process by incorporating any constraints or boundary conditions into the system's equations. It ensures that the final solution satisfies all constraints and accurately reflects the behavior of the system.

3. Can a constraint matrix be used for different types of constraints?

Yes, a constraint matrix can be used for various types of constraints, such as fixed displacements, prescribed forces, or enforced motions. It can also handle more complex constraints, such as contact or frictional interactions between components.

4. How is the constraint matrix incorporated into the global matrix assembly algorithm?

The constraint matrix is typically incorporated into the global matrix assembly algorithm through a process called constraint condensation. This involves eliminating the constrained degrees of freedom from the system's equations and reducing the overall size of the global matrix.

5. Are there any limitations to using a constraint matrix in global matrix assembly?

While the constraint matrix is a powerful tool in global matrix assembly, it does have some limitations. For complex systems with many degrees of freedom and constraints, the constraint matrix can become large and computationally expensive to solve. Additionally, the accuracy of the final solution may be affected if the constraints are not accurately represented in the matrix.