Construct field tensor an dual tensor

In summary, the homework statement says that a straight wire carrying charge density will travel in the +z direction at a speed v. The equations for the problem state that the charge's field strength is found using a field tensor. The tensor is derived from the components of the field strength tensor, and is used to solve for E_x,E_y,E_z,B_x,B_y,B_zhmm.
leonne

Homework Statement

straight wire along z axis carries charge density [tex]\lambda[/tex] traveling in +z direction at speed v. construct field tenor and dual at point (x,0,0_

Homework Equations

E=(2[tex]\lambda[/tex] /4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]o r)r^
B=([tex]\mu[/tex]o I/2[tex]\pi[/tex]r)[tex]\phi[/tex]^

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't get how they find the E and B they got
E=[tex]\lambda[/tex] /2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]o x)x^
B=([tex]\mu[/tex]o [tex]\lambda[/tex]V/2[tex]\pi[/tex]x)y^
I know to find r it would be distance to the point, well i thought it would be r=(x2+z2)1/2, but they just got x
also why is E in x^ and b in y^ does it have to do with the right hand rule?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you construct the field tensor [itex]F^{\mu\nu}[/itex]. Then simply give it a boost in the +z direction, and read of E and B from there. If you've done that, you should get the right answer (i have not verified the result from the book that you've mentioned)

Please show your steps and I'll inspect them.

The field tensor formula is
f= |0 Ex/c Ey/c Ez/c
|-Ex/c 0 Bz -By
| -Ey/c -Bz 0 BX
So first I would need to find what Ex then Ey than Ez ect correct?
So the charge is moving on the Z and trying the find tensor at some point on x axis.
Not sure what to do. Don't really get what you mean by "Then simply give it a boost in the +z direction, and read of E and B from there" Didnt really study this chapter, but we only need to know this for the final. Going to try to figure it out later
the answer is F=[tex]\mu[/tex]o[tex]\lambda[/tex]/2[tex]\pi[/tex]x(0 c 0 0)
(-c 0 0-v)
(0 0 00)
(0 v 0 0)

No, see this is what we do.

We imagine a system with a line charge in which the charge DOES NOT MOVE. Find its field strength tensor, which is easy.

Then we boost the system in the +z system, effecting a lorentz transformation on the tensor [tex]F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]. We now have a new F. But since F is a tensor, it must be of the same form as before. From its components we simple read out [tex]E_x,E_y,E_z,B_x,B_y,B_z[/tex]

hmm ok thanks for info going to try it later tonight, ill post what i get thanks

ok still kind of lost but here is what i found. so the components of B and E are Bij=(dAj/dXi)-dAi/dXj = diAj-djAi

Ei=-[tex]\phi[/tex]/dxi- dAi/dT =-di[tex]\phi[/tex] -dtAi
than
A[tex]\mu[/tex]=([tex]\phi[/tex]-cA)
then the tensor =

F=dAv/dx[tex]\mu[/tex]-dA[tex]\mu[/tex]/dXv=d[tex]\mu[/tex] Av-dvA[tex]\mu[/tex]than from this they make a matrix
Is this corrent? well i am completely lost lol Final is tomorrow and i have a feeling this will be one of the problems. Can you show me how to do it or know any websites? I looked and could not find any.
btw is the A the Retarded potential?
thanks

1. What is a field tensor?

A field tensor is a mathematical object that describes the behavior of a vector or tensor field in a given space. It is a multi-dimensional array of numbers that represents the variation of the field's components in different directions and at different points in space.

2. How is a field tensor constructed?

A field tensor is constructed by taking the partial derivatives of a field's components with respect to each coordinate direction. These derivatives are then organized into a matrix or higher-dimensional array, depending on the number of dimensions in the space.

3. What is the significance of the field tensor in physics?

The field tensor is a crucial concept in physics, particularly in the field of electromagnetism. It allows for the precise mathematical description of electromagnetic fields, and is a key part of equations such as Maxwell's equations and the Lorentz force law.

4. What is a dual tensor?

A dual tensor is an object related to the field tensor that describes the behavior of a dual vector or covector field in a given space. It is constructed in a similar way to the field tensor, but with the use of a dual basis instead of a standard basis.

5. How are the field tensor and dual tensor related?

The field tensor and dual tensor are related through a mathematical operation called the Hodge dual. This operation allows for the conversion of a field tensor into a dual tensor, and vice versa. In physics, this relationship is used to describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields in terms of the field tensor and dual tensor.