Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constructing Explicit Deformation Retractions

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    I don't really know why, but I'm having trouble actually building deformation retractions, although I understand the concepts behind homotopies, etc.

For example, when constructing a deformation retraction for [tex]\mathbb{R}^n-\{0\}[/tex] to [tex]S^{n-1}[/tex], I found that you could define the mapping [tex]F(x,t) = (\frac{x_1}{t||x||+(1-t)},...,\frac{x_n}{t||x||+(1-t)})[/tex]. However, I still don't see how you can think of such a thing..
    I get the idea of turning the x_ns into unit vectors, but I don't understand the intuition behind the +(1-t), etc.

Anyone want to give some advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2011 #2
    I am not sure what you would like to know. Your mapping F(x,t) is such that F(x,0)=x, hence F(.,0)=id on R^n - {0} and F(x,1)=x/|x| is in the (n-1)-sphere. This is the reason the t's and (t-1)'s are put there as they are.

4. Sep 12, 2011 #3
    ^ Never mind; I got my answer somewhere else. But what I meant was how someone comes up with such an idea. It's easy to see that the mapping is a det. ret., but it's harder to actually produce the mapping to begin with (or what I was having trouble on anyways).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook