• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Constructive/Destructive Interference Problem.

• Thread starter l46kok
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
If we shine white light on an air wedge like that shown in the figure below, the colors that are weak in the light reflected from any point along the wedge are strong in the light transmitted through the wedge. Explain why this should be so.
http://www.practicalphysics.org/imageLibrary/jpeg350/128.jpg [Broken]

2. Homework Equations
Constructive reflection from thin film, no relative phase shift

2t = m*lambda (m = 0,1,2...)

Destructive reflection from thin film, no relative phase shift

2t = (m + 0.5)lambda (m = 0,1,2...)

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Since the light is passing through the wedge has a greater index of refraction, that means that the light wave actually slows down as it passes through.

In waves, v = f * lambda so we can find the relationship between the constructive interference and the velocity of the wave by

(d/t) = f * lambda
t = d / (f * lambda)

2(d / f * lambda) = m lambda

2d/f = m.

And I'm completely stuck here. I think I'm going in a wrong direction to answer this problem. Can anyone help me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

bumppppppppppppppppp

bumpppppppppppppppppppp

bumpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

-_-

bumpppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

someone please help me.........

Sigh it's almost been a week, yet no answer

hage567
Homework Helper
I don't really have to much to say about this off the top of my head, but here's what I would think about:
This doesn't really have anything to do with the velocity. You need to consider the index of refraction though, to determine if there is a phase shift when the light is reflected at each boundary. This will determine if there is constructive or destructive interference, and where.

I don't really have to much to say about this off the top of my head, but here's what I would think about:
This doesn't really have anything to do with the velocity. You need to consider the index of refraction though, to determine if there is a phase shift when the light is reflected at each boundary. This will determine if there is constructive or destructive interference, and where.
How exactly do you determine the phase shift to this question?

hage567
Homework Helper
I think the rule is if the light reflects from a medium of a higher index of refraction than that of the medium it is travelling in, you will get a phase change of 180 degrees.