1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light (Constructive/Destructive Interference)

1. Feb 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is not a homework question but I would like if someone could explain to me when to consider what equation constructive/destructive? I learned these two equations very vaguely in class:
    dsinθ = mλ or d(ym)/L=mλ
    dsinθ = (m+1/2)λ or d(ym)/L = (m+1/2)λ

The power point provided for us in class says that dsinθ=mλ is constructive and the other eqn is destructive. However when we started discussing thin film interference, suddenly the equations turned to
    2t = mλ
    2t= (m+1/2λ)

and in some situations 2t = mλ an equation for destructive interference and vice versa. When do I also know which equation to use for specific situations?

2. Relevant equations
    dsinθ = mλ or d(ym)/L=mλ
    dsinθ = (m+1/2)λ or d(ym)/L = (m+1/2)λ
    2t = mλ
    2t= (m+1/2λ)

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2017 #2
    For the thin film case, the light passes twice through the film, first as the incident ray and then as the reflected ray, so the time delay is doubled.

4. Feb 7, 2017 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equations have no meaning without description of the situation, and definition of the symbols. So, what was that representation about, and what are d, m, λ, and θ?

Again, what is the situation and what are d, m, λ?

5. Feb 8, 2017 #4
    d is the distance, m is the number that represents dark spots/bright spots(?), and λ is wavelength.

6. Feb 8, 2017 #5
    So this phase shift changes which equation is constructive and which is destructive?

7. Feb 8, 2017 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

distance of what from what? And what is θ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted