Contacting Professors for PhD in Biomed Eng/Mats Sci w/BioMat Focus

  • Thread starter Thread starter ducky
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Professors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
ducky
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I'm planning on applying to PhD programs in Biomedical Engineering or Materials Science and Engineering with a focus in biomaterials. My undergraduate degree is in Physics with a Mathematics minor, and from what I've been told, the admissions process is different from that of Physics. Some have told me that you really need to build connections before applying to these programs by emailing professors and talking about their research and how you will fit into their group. (Though I don't believe this is the case for all programs, and some frown upon that.)

I don't know what to say when emailing them, though. I've emailed graduate advisors with questions about their department, but when it comes to emailing specific professors, I don't know what to say. I don't have any questions to ask the ones who are doing research in areas that I am interested in. Is it acceptable to tell them my research interests and ask if I would be a good fit for their research group? Is it acceptable to email more than one professor at one school?

I know some programs have certain rules about emailing professors, so obviously I would check that before emailing them.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ducky said:
I don't know what to say when emailing them, though.

Then don't email them. Simple politeness dictates that you don't waste their timr.
 
You don't have any questions for professors about their work in research areas you are interested in? I'd think a bit harder about that.
 
I read some good advice written by ZapperZ in this thread about contacting professors. ZapperZ's advice was intended for Physics, of course, but it might help in your case too.

5. This last part is a bit dicey, since the situation can either turn out very positive, or very bad. If you feel confident enough in your ability, you may want to contact directly a faculty member of school that you would like to attend. Obviously, this would be a school that is highly competitive. You want to do this in cases where you think a direct communication may enhance your chances - so don’t do this if you think your contact may backfire. The best way to do this is to see if any of the faculty member of your undergraduate institution know of anyone there personally. It is always best to have such recommendation.

As for
ducky said:
I don't know what to say when emailing them, though.

I think this might help:

If you do decide on such contact, tell the person why, your interest, and that you would be interested in working in his/her research group, etc.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person