1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contacting professors for research opportunities/volunteer work.

1. Jan 13, 2013 #1
    I would like some advice on how to go about offering myself for any kind of research experience at a local physics/astroph. department(in the US). I am a graduating senior who isn't going to grad school this year, so formal REU's aren't an option (not to mention they always conflicted with my exams as I attend university abroad).

Would profs entertain such an idea if they thought I was qualified? (note: I am a US resident and will probably be working anywhere else just to cover expenses for a while, so this may be a part time thing unless I could get on some kind of funding).

I have little prior experience (currently doing a project in a related field) but a hell of a lot of drive and work ethic. Would emailing a short question to a prof along with a CV be a good idea or should I hold off on the CV until they express an interest? Should I wait contacting them until the summer when I'll actually be available?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2013 #2
    Anyone?

4. Jan 14, 2013 #3
    just offer yourself whatever the price,somebody might be willing to accept a free hand.Maybe my answer is not the best one...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook