Continue my studys in australlia

• Thread starter elabed haidar
  • Start date
In summary, Abed Haidar from Lebanon is seeking guidance on continuing his studies in Australia, particularly in obtaining a PhD. He is considering completing his Bachelor's degree in Lebanon and then pursuing a PhD in Australia. He is interested in the top research universities, such as ANU, University of Melbourne, and University of Sydney, for a PhD program. He also wants to know which major to choose for his future studies, and if he can switch to engineering. His average grade is 75/100 and he is open to studying an extra year if needed. He also wants to understand the concept of prestige in university rankings.
elabed haidar
hey everyone I am abed haidar and i am from lebanon i have finished my first year in physics and i have three questions about continuing my studies :
1) i was born in australlia so i have my passport and everything but my parents thought that since lebanon is our home so i should stay there forever BOy they were wrong(lol) i need to know which are the favored universities i should go to the more the details the better please

2) like i said i finished my first year in physics and i tend to finish my bachelor degree in lebanon but i want to continue to have my doc degree in australlia unfortunately in lebanon even though the governmental university has a really strong reputation it doesn't have many options either a bachelor in pure physics or electronics i need to know which major should i choose for the future when i come to australlia
thank you all for listening to me i talk a lot but i am really don't know that to do

ps my average grade si 75/100 so i am not bad

Physics news on Phys.org
To be honest, you will struggle with your current grasp of the English language at an Australian university.

dont worry about my english i was born in australlia don't worry just i need guidance

The top research universities are the http://www.go8.edu.au/go8-members/go8-member-profiles". If you plan on doing a PhD, do it at anyone of these universities. Any of these universities is fine, however if you want prestige then ANU, University of Melbourne and the University of Sydney.

If you are planning on finishing your degree in Lebanon, you have to ensure that your degree is equivalent to a four year Bachelors degree with first class honours. While the minimum to do a PhD is a upper second class, you will not get a scholarship for a PhD unless you get first class honours. Should your degree be only equivalent to a 3 year degree, you will be required to complete an honours year* in order to be eligible for entry into a PhD. Note in either case, you are expected/required to contact several potential supervisors and discuss projects with them before submitting an application. Usually the minimum for entry into honours is 70% average in relevant subjects.In order to be competitive try to aim for ~80%. If you do complete honours at ANU and receive first class honours you are guaranteed a PhD scholarship. Also if you complete an honours year, you will be able to defer your payment through http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/FeesLoansAndScholarships/Undergraduate/CommonwealthSupportForYourPlaceAndHECS-HELP/CommonwealthSupportedPlaces.htm" .

If you want to do a PhD in physics, I presume that pure physics would be the appropriate major.

*In the case of the University of Melbourne, you can instead complete a 2 year Coursework Masters, as they no longer offer an honours year, which they claim offers better preparation for a PhD. This Masters is eligible for CSP and equivalent to an honours year.

Last edited by a moderator:
what if i want to switch to engineering which major do you advice me and which university and don't worry i have an average of 75/100 and top of my class and i have considerd in the worst cases that i will study an extra year thanks for the information but these information are 100% correct

what is prestige

ttyu6 said:
The top research universities are the http://www.go8.edu.au/go8-members/go8-member-profiles". If you plan on doing a PhD, do it at anyone of these universities. Any of these universities is fine, however if you want prestige then ANU, University of Melbourne and the University of Sydney.

If you are planning on finishing your degree in Lebanon, you have to ensure that your degree is equivalent to a four year Bachelors degree with first class honours. While the minimum to do a PhD is a upper second class, you will not get a scholarship for a PhD unless you get first class honours. Should your degree be only equivalent to a 3 year degree, you will be required to complete an honours year* in order to be eligible for entry into a PhD. Note in either case, you are expected/required to contact several potential supervisors and discuss projects with them before submitting an application. Usually the minimum for entry into honours is 70% average in relevant subjects.In order to be competitive try to aim for ~80%. If you do complete honours at ANU and receive first class honours you are guaranteed a PhD scholarship. Also if you complete an honours year, you will be able to defer your payment through http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/FeesLoansAndScholarships/Undergraduate/CommonwealthSupportForYourPlaceAndHECS-HELP/CommonwealthSupportedPlaces.htm" .

If you want to do a PhD in physics, I presume that pure physics would be the appropriate major.

*In the case of the University of Melbourne, you can instead complete a 2 year Coursework Masters, as they no longer offer an honours year, which they claim offers better preparation for a PhD. This Masters is eligible for CSP and equivalent to an honours year.

what if i want to switch to engineering which major do you advice me and which university and don't worry i have an average of 75/100 and top of my class and i have considerd in the worst cases that i will study an extra year thanks for the information but these information are 100% correct and what is the meaning of prestige and thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure which major you should complete, as I'm not familiar with with engineering. However, the University of Melbourne offers a Masters in Engineering which would allow you to work as an engineer. This only requires 2 first year mathematics units and 2 units from physics/chemistry/computer science depending on your intended specialization. If you want to verify anything I've said, you can check on any university website for exact requirements or you can email the Postgraduate/PhD coordinator.

When I said prestige, I meant that the three universities I listed have a good reputation and are well recognised. You should choose a university which has an active research group in the field in which you plan to complete your PhD.

there is also new zealand..which is near australia..
some well known universities there..

thank you man but i was born in australlia but thank you very much

elabed haidar said:
thank you man but i was born in australlia but thank you very much

If you have an Australian passport, you're allowed to live, study and work in New Zealand as well.

wowwwwwwwwww i didnt know that

What are the requirements for studying in Australia?

The general requirements for studying in Australia include having a valid passport, obtaining a student visa, being accepted into a registered course or program, and meeting the English language proficiency requirements. Each university may also have specific requirements for admission, so it is important to check with the institution you are interested in.

How much does it cost to study in Australia?

The cost of studying in Australia varies depending on the university and program you choose. On average, international students can expect to pay around $20,000 to $45,000 per year for undergraduate programs and $22,000 to $50,000 per year for postgraduate programs. Additionally, you will need to budget for living expenses, which can range from $18,000 to $25,000 per year.

Are there any scholarships available for international students in Australia?

Yes, there are numerous scholarships available for international students in Australia. These scholarships are offered by the government, universities, and other organizations. Some are based on academic merit, while others are based on financial need. It is important to research and apply for scholarships early as they can greatly reduce the cost of studying in Australia.

What are the top universities in Australia?

According to the QS World University Rankings 2021, the top five universities in Australia are The University of Melbourne, The Australian National University, The University of Sydney, The University of New South Wales, and The University of Queensland. However, there are many other top universities in Australia that offer excellent academic programs and research opportunities.

What is the student life like in Australia?

Australia is known for its vibrant and diverse student life. With a large international student population, there are many opportunities to meet people from different cultures and backgrounds. Universities also offer a variety of clubs, societies, and events for students to get involved in. Additionally, Australia has a laid-back lifestyle, beautiful beaches, and a variety of outdoor activities to enjoy in your free time.