How should continue on my study?

• Thread starter n_kelthuzad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the person is a high school student in NZ who is unsure about which subject to choose for university. They prefer pure mathematics, but are also considering engineering or computer programming for the higher incomes. They are good at mathematics, but not as good with language skills and okay with physics. They are seeking advice on what will happen if they choose one of these three subjects, as they do not want to be a teacher or professor due to their language skills. The conversation also includes a recommendation to improve communication skills through Toastmasters if they want to succeed in any of these fields. The person suggests studying applied mathematics or statistics and doing a few electives in programming if interested. They also mention the importance of building a portfolio and gaining experience in
n_kelthuzad
I'm a High School student in NZ, and I am going to the local university next year. However I don't know what subject should I choose, I perfer pure mathematics, although engineering or computer programming may have much higher incomes so I am considering them. I am very good at mathematics (I studied calculus in my 1st junior year), not so good with language skills and O.K. with physics. Even maths is my most favoured option I am still not sure with path to choose. Can anyone tell me clearly what will happen if I choose one of these 3 subjects? (I don't like to be a teacher or professor because of my language skills)

Physics news on Phys.org
n_kelthuzad said:
I'm a High School student in NZ, and I am going to the local university next year. However I don't know what subject should I choose, I perfer pure mathematics, although engineering or computer programming may have much higher incomes so I am considering them. I am very good at mathematics (I studied calculus in my 1st junior year), not so good with language skills and O.K. with physics. Even maths is my most favoured option I am still not sure with path to choose. Can anyone tell me clearly what will happen if I choose one of these 3 subjects? (I don't like to be a teacher or professor because of my language skills)

Hey n_kelthuzad and welcome to the forums.

I have something to say about your language skills comment and I feel it's important to say first because if this is not addressed it will have a huge impact for you if you try and go for any job.

If you feel you need to improve your communication skills then work on this as soon as possible. You will not be hired if you do not have good communication skills for any of the jobs you have mentioned including teaching, programming, or even academic work. You need good communication skills in all of these.

If you want to study applied mathematics or statistics or something along those lines (engineering, actuarial work, and so on) then communication skills are very very important. In these kinds of fields you need to often do analysis and give advice in a way that your boss or your client or even your coworker can understand. You won't get through your degree if it's worth anything let alone to the interview stage if this is the case.

My recommendation is to go to Toastmasters and pay the $40 yearly fee and if you put in a lot you will get out a lot. A good Toastmasters club will have very experienced members, a very organized meeting, and some good mentors who will help you with this as long as you put in the effort.

If you want to do programming (I used to get paid for this) but still like the idea of mathematics, do a mathematics degree and do a few electives in your first year. If you like this then spend as much time building a portfolio and getting some experience reading and writing code and also debugging code. If you want more specific advice for programming, PM me.

I wish you all the best and just remember that if you want to get the most out of uni, you'll be learning a lot more than just the coursework involves.

Related to How should continue on my study?

How should I continue on my study?

1. What are the best resources for finding information related to my study?

There are several resources you can use to find information related to your study, such as academic journals, textbooks, online databases, and scientific conferences. It is important to evaluate the credibility and relevance of the sources you use.

2. How can I stay organized and manage my time effectively while conducting my study?

Creating a detailed study plan and schedule can help you stay organized and manage your time effectively. Prioritize your tasks and set realistic goals to ensure you make progress on your study.

3. Should I collaborate with other researchers or work independently on my study?

Collaborating with other researchers can bring new perspectives and insights to your study. However, it is also important to have the necessary skills and knowledge to work independently if needed.

4. How do I choose the right research methodology for my study?

The choice of research methodology will depend on the nature of your study, research question, and data collection methods. It is important to carefully consider the strengths and limitations of each methodology before making a decision.

5. How can I ensure the validity and reliability of my study?

To ensure the validity and reliability of your study, it is important to use appropriate research methods, collect and analyze data accurately, and address any potential biases or limitations. It is also beneficial to have your study reviewed by peers or experts in the field.