How can I improve my studying for better test grades?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Pipsqueakalchemist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study Test
In summary, the student has struggled with getting lower grades compared to their friends who have a heavier course load. They have tried various studying methods such as doing all the homework, practicing exams, and asking their professor questions, but have not seen improvement in their grades. They are tired and frustrated with their results and are considering just accepting a mediocre grade. However, they may benefit from reassessing their studying methods and focusing on activities that truly help them learn.
Pipsqueakalchemist
At this point I just can’t take a test. I split my 3rd year up to have a smaller course load to get higher grades for grad school and got 60s on almost every test. My friends who have double my course load do just as good if not better. I’ve given on grad at this point. For 2nd third year please tell me how I am supposed to study because at this point I’m at a lost for what more I can do. This semester I studied so hard, I did all the homework, I did practice exams, I went to office hours and asked the professor a lot of question, I made a list of questions I had and ask all of them to the professor. There’s nothing more I can do at this point. I feel like I’m just a C student and maybe that’s not so bad. I don’t know at this point I’m just so tired of this crap. Tired of studying and working so hard just to get mediocre results. I am just glad it’s summer now so I can just play games and forget about school.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pipsqueakalchemist said:
There’s nothing more I can do at this point.
Then you have your answer.

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
This semester I studied so hard, I did all the homework, I did practice exams, I went to office hours and asked the professor a lot of question, I made a list of questions I had and ask all of them to the professor.
Comments:
"I did all the homework" -- did you get any feedback on whether your work was correct? IOW, does the instructor expect you to turn in homework assignments, and if so, does he/she correct them and return them to you with comments on why some work is incorrect? I taught at the college level for 25+ years, and I know that there are a lot of instructors who assign homework, but don't collect it. They pretty much leave it up to you to determine whether your work is correct. This is a very poor way to teach, IMO.

"I did practice exams" -- do you know whether the work you did and the answers you got were correct? Were the practice exams at least somewhat similar to the exams you took for a grade?

"I went to office hours and asked the professor a lot of questions" -- did the answers provided help you uncover why you are getting such low grades on the exams?

Likes berkeman
Mark44 said:
Comments:
"I did all the homework" -- did you get any feedback on whether your work was correct? IOW, does the instructor expect you to turn in homework assignments, and if so, does he/she correct them and return them to you with comments on why some work is incorrect? I taught at the college level for 25+ years, and I know that there are a lot of instructors who assign homework, but don't collect it. They pretty much leave it up to you to determine whether your work is correct. This is a very poor way to teach, IMO.

"I did practice exams" -- do you know whether the work you did and the answers you got were correct? Were the practice exams at least somewhat similar to the exams you took for a grade?

"I went to office hours and asked the professor a lot of questions" -- did the answers provided help you uncover why you are getting such low grades on the exams?
All the homework had solutions so I could check my work to see if it was right. Practice exam were decently related. I feel I know the material but I just can’t get a good mark on the test. Even when I finish and I think I aced the test, when I get the test back I get 60s. I don’t know what to do anymore. Maybe just accept a 60 isn’t a bad mark and just lower expectations

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
I studied so hard, I did all the homework, I did practice exams, I went to office hours and asked the professor a lot of question, I made a list of questions I had and ask all of them to the professor
This does not necessarily equal quality studying. Ultimately, the success of your studies is determined by what you learned from all of this and not that you did them. It sounds to me like you need to identify what activities actually help you in learning rather than doing a lot of things because they are ”the things to do” and ending up burned out, exhausted, and with mediocre grades to show for it. For example, asking a teacher a question is only beneficial if it is a question that will further your knowledge if answered. This also requires you to be able to understand and assimilate the teacher’s answer (which admittedly sometimes is a teacher problem).

For efficient learning, you also need feedback as already mentioned. If this is not provided by teachers then you need to make sure you get it somewhere else. This is where your class mates come in handy and typically everyone in a study group benefits - regardless of the level of understanding, people who understand more will understand even better by having to explain things to others.

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
All the homework had solutions so I could check my work to see if it was right.
That is not the same thing as being given explicit feedback on your own solution as it will not explain to you where and why you went wrong - just that you did.

Likes hutchphd and Vanadium 50
Pipsqueakalchemist said:
All the homework had solutions so I could check my work to see if it was right.

Orodruin said:
That is not the same thing as being given explicit feedback on your own solution as it will not explain to you where and why you went wrong - just that you did.
Strongly agree. Years ago I was teaching an intro algebra class, and one young woman came to my office complaining that I had marked one of her problems wrong, even though she got the right answer, and her friend got the wrong answer, but the friend received partial credit. I explained to her that 1) the answer was in the back of the book, and 2) none of her work supported arriving at that answer. As far as her friend's work was concerned, the friend's work was logically laid out but had an error midway through. My point and I think Orodruin is making a similar point is that getting the right answer isn't the whole story.

Likes symbolipoint and berkeman
Orodruin said:
This does not necessarily equal quality studying. Ultimately, the success of your studies is determined by what you learned from all of this and not that you did them. It sounds to me like you need to identify what activities actually help you in learning rather than doing a lot of things because they are ”the things to do” and ending up burned out, exhausted, and with mediocre grades to show for it. For example, asking a teacher a question is only beneficial if it is a question that will further your knowledge if answered. This also requires you to be able to understand and assimilate the teacher’s answer (which admittedly sometimes is a teacher problem).

For efficient learning, you also need feedback as already mentioned. If this is not provided by teachers then you need to make sure you get it somewhere else. This is where your class mates come in handy and typically everyone in a study group benefits - regardless of the level of understanding, people who understand more will understand even better by having to explain things to others.That is not the same thing as being given explicit feedback on your own solution as it will not explain to you where and why you went wrong - just that you did.
Well I would ask the professor why my method didn’t work, like I did try and understand my mistakes and try to understand what was being done and why

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
Well I would ask the professor why my method didn’t work, like I did try and understand my mistakes and try to understand what was being done and why
Did you ask the professor why your work on the exams was incorrect? If so, did you understand his/her explanation?

Mark44 said:
My point and I think Orodruin is making a similar point is that getting the right answer isn't the whole story.
Partially, but I would go even further. Sometimes a book will contain full solutions, not just the final answer. Even then it is instructive to be able to understand why your own solution did not work rather than just seeing a full solution.

Mark44 said:
Did you ask the professor why your work on the exams was incorrect? If so, did you understand his/her explanation?
I’m emailed one of them and would like to see my exam again after seeing I got a 65. That class was my best class too

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
I’m emailed one of them and would like to see my exam again after seeing I got a 65. That class was my best class too
I would be going to the instructor's office after each test where I got a low grade.

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
Well I would ask the professor why my method didn’t work
That's a bad question. It doesn't necessarily point you towards what method will work.

But it also sheds light on what your problem is. If you are starting from the wrong place, you are unlikely to finish in the right one.

Mark44 said:
I would be going to the instructor's office after each test where I got a low grade.
Well that would be every test this semester then. I just hope my second 3rd year is easier

Vanadium 50 said:
That's a bad question. It doesn't necessarily point you towards what method will work.

But it also sheds light on what your problem is. If you are starting from the wrong place, you are unlikely to finish in the right one.
I don’t see why it’s bad since I’m trying to understand what my thought process was wrong

Because your job isn't to try and salvage what you think you know. Your job is to learn what's right?

Why wasn't the Declaration of Independence singed in 1772? Or 1810? Or 1650? Or...or...or... You could; spend all your time not learning when it was signed.

Pipsqueakalchemist said:

Vanadium 50 said:
That's a bad question.
Maybe the OP didn't phrase it in the best way. I don't see why asking "Where did I go wrong?" is a bad question, if it's asked so as to get a better understand of the right approach.

I disagree. "Show me the right way" is a good question, "Where is this wrong?" is a bad question - especially if, as it seems, the answer was "starting from the wrong place"., Isn't it more useful to know where the right place is?

Vanadium 50 said:
I disagree. "Show me the right way" is a good question, "Where is this wrong?" is a bad question - especially if, as it seems, the answer was "starting from the wrong place"., Isn't it more useful to know where the right place is?
If the work starts off wrong, it would be helpful for the student to know why it's wrong -- incorrect assumptions, incorrect translation of the problem scenario into an equation, whatever. If the work is wrong right from the get-go, the error can be pointed out very quickly, and the student can be steered in a more fruitful direction.

I maintain my position - it is better to learn how to do it right than a trek through the myriad possible ways to get it wrong.

Vanadium 50 said:
I maintain my position - it is better to learn how to do it right than a trek through the myriad possible ways to get it wrong.
And I maintain my position, which stems from teaching college-level mathematics for 25+ years. If I'm in front of a class of students, of course I'm not going to go through a myriad of wrong approaches, but if a student comes to my office asking why I marked his work as incorrect, I will gladly take the time to at least look at his work and show him why his work went wrong. If a student is really struggling, it usually doesn't take very long to spot the wrong turn. And then, as I said before, I would give him a gentle push in the right direction and see if he can get the rest of the problem right working on his own.

What you described, teaching the student how to work the problem correctly, is the standard way that textbooks teach material. The problem with this approach is that it is too easy for students to read along, and think they get it. IMO students learn best only when they work through a problem and make several false starts that produce the wrong answer. If they can be made to realize why these approaches are successful, they are then ready to learn a correct approach that produces the right answer.

Likes vela and symbolipoint
Pipsqueakalchemist said:
Well that would be every test this semester then. I just hope my second 3rd year is easier
The upcoming summer season could be an opportunity to review some coursework on your own to improve in some current courses which you are right now not learning well. Repeated study IS often helpful, even if it is done outside of being enrolled in a course.

Mark44 said:
And I maintain my position, which stems from teaching college-level mathematics for 25+ years. If I'm in front of a class of students, of course I'm not going to go through a myriad of wrong approaches, but if a student comes to my office asking why I marked his work as incorrect, I will gladly take the time to at least look at his work and show him why his work went wrong. If a student is really struggling, it usually doesn't take very long to spot the wrong turn. And then, as I said before, I would give him a gentle push in the right direction and see if he can get the rest of the problem right working on his own.

What you described, teaching the student how to work the problem correctly, is the standard way that textbooks teach material. The problem with this approach is that it is too easy for students to read along, and think they get it. IMO students learn best only when they work through a problem and make several false starts that produce the wrong answer. If they can be made to realize why these approaches are successful, they are then ready to learn a correct approach that produces the right answer.
I have to agree with Mark here. Presumably the student has already been shown the way in class and read about it in the course literature. Just seeing it again will generally not help. The student needs personal feedback on what they are doing, what goes wrong, and how to correct it. So understanding what went wrong is a big part of learning, but you also need to follow up by asking how it can be corrected.

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
At this point I just can’t take a test. I split my 3rd year up to have a smaller course load to get higher grades for grad school and got 60s on almost every test. My friends who have double my course load do just as good if not better. I’ve given on grad at this point. For 2nd third year please tell me how I am supposed to study because at this point I’m at a lost for what more I can do. This semester I studied so hard, I did all the homework, I did practice exams, I went to office hours and asked the professor a lot of question, I made a list of questions I had and ask all of them to the professor. There’s nothing more I can do at this point. I feel like I’m just a C student and maybe that’s not so bad. I don’t know at this point I’m just so tired of this crap. Tired of studying and working so hard just to get mediocre results. I am just glad it’s summer now so I can just play games and forget about school.
Well, it doesn't sound like there's any lack of trying on your part. Take some time off, relax, decompress, but don't forget about school for the entire summer. Once you've given yourself some down time it might be worth reflecting on the bigger picture.

First, do you still want to be in your program? Are you learning what you thought you would be? Are you still genuinely interested in the topic? Sure, sometimes the day-to-day grind can be monotonous, but it's important not to lose sight of the endgame. Sometimes students can get so overwhelmed by the sunken cost effect that they feel they have to keep going on whatever initial path they chose, even if it's not turning out as they thought. But in my experience the students who change gears when they realize they no longer love the path they're on, end up doing a lot better overall, even if it takes them an extra year or two to finish.

To help figure this out, particularly over the summer, make sure you take the time to read up on the stuff that you're most interested in. If you keep coming back to the same field, it's probably worth sticking it out. But if you find instead you're gravitating toward another area, a course correction may be warranted. Reading up on the "cool" stuff also helps to keep that passion alive when the coursework has stomped in down.

Second, (assuming you want to stay in your program) take a hard, honest look at your skills and knowledge base. Are you suffering in your courses because your prerequisite knowledge isn't great? Just because you covered something in a previous course, doesn't mean you can assume you know it. This is where review and remedial work can really help.

As a "2b" you might also look at your coursework. Did you end up in courses before you were ready for them? What were the methods of instruction? Which methods worked best for you? Some students really struggle with remote learning, which so many people have had to do in recent years. So if that's the case, it might help to aim for in-person lectures when available. Or take more labs. Or independent study-type courses. To the extent you can, stack your learning in favor of the teaching/learning style that works best for you. And if your school doesn't offer things that work, consider switching to one that does.

Third, take a good look at how you're preparing for your classes and examinations. Are you reading ahead and coming to lectures prepared? How much time are you putting into your studies and do you get different results when that changes? Do you have a comfortable, distraction free environment to study in? Are you covering enough material in your studying that there aren't really many surprises during a test?

And as always, it's important to maintain a balanced life while you're doing all of this. Get adequate sleep and nutrition. Exercise. Socialize. Incorporate constructive down time, etc.

Likes Mark44
Pipsqueakalchemist said:
I feel I know the material but I just can’t get a good mark on the test. Even when I finish and I think I aced the test, when I get the test back I get 60s. I don’t know what to do anymore. Maybe just accept a 60 isn’t a bad mark and just lower expectations
Do you review the tests to see why you got low scores? If you can identify what kinds of mistakes you make, then you might be able to figure out how to avoid repeating those mistakes.

1. How can I create a study schedule that works for me?

Creating a study schedule that works for you involves identifying your learning style and setting aside dedicated time for studying each day. You can also break up your study sessions into smaller chunks throughout the day to avoid burnout.

2. What are some effective study techniques?

Some effective study techniques include creating flashcards, summarizing information in your own words, and practicing active recall by quizzing yourself on the material. It's also important to take breaks and get enough rest to retain information better.

3. How can I stay motivated while studying?

To stay motivated while studying, set realistic goals for yourself, reward yourself for completing tasks, and remind yourself of the bigger picture and why you are studying. It can also be helpful to study with a friend or join a study group for accountability and support.

4. Should I study alone or in a group?

The answer to this question depends on your personal preferences and learning style. Some people may find it more effective to study alone, while others may benefit from studying in a group and discussing the material with others. Experiment with both options to see what works best for you.

5. How can I reduce test anxiety?

To reduce test anxiety, it's important to prepare well in advance and practice good study habits. Make sure to get enough rest, eat well, and stay hydrated on the day of the test. It can also be helpful to take deep breaths and remind yourself that you have studied and are prepared for the test.