Continuing my experimentation with bismuth

In summary, the more i study this strange element, the more interesting it becomes. The metal shown its natural color when polished with a "saponáceo cremoso" and did not oxidize even after being exposed to air, water or oils. However, when molten it tarnishes instantly.
BetaZeta2016
The more i study this strange element, the more interesting it becomes.

I found that bismuth only shows it's colorful oxides when exposed to air while hot/molten.

I decided to go outside and polish the sample using an abrasive liquid known in Brazil as "Saponáceo Cremoso".
Don't know what it's called in english-speaking countries.

Edit: It's called "Scouring cream" in english.

Anyway, it's used to polish aluminum cookware as well as any other metal surfaces.

So i took my bismuth sample out and started polishing.

The metal finally showed it's natural appearance: A lustrous, shiny and silvery material that resembles lead or iron.

But something more happened: It didn't oxidize. Even after being exposed to air, water or even the oils from my hand, it's still shiny, without any noticeable color change.

But when molten, it tarnishes instantaneously!

Anyone knows why?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
BetaZeta2016 said:
So the heat acts as a catalyst here.

No. Catalyst is a catalyst, heat is a heat. Both speed up the reaction, but for completely different reasons.

Likes BetaZeta2016
Borek said:
No. Catalyst is a catalyst, heat is a heat. Both speed up the reaction, but for completely different reasons.

Oh, nice. Thank you for clarifying :smile:.

As you were melting Bismuth and already messing up one pan: Did you observe the solid bismuth to float on the melt? Bismuth is one of the few substances (like water) where the solid is less dense than the melt.

Likes BetaZeta2016
DrDu said:
As you were melting Bismuth and already messing up one pan: Did you observe the solid bismuth to float on the melt? Bismuth is one of the few substances (like water) where the solid is less dense than the melt.

Yes, i did!
While the bismuth was molten, there was a small chunk floating on the top of the liquid.

I won't do it on the kitchen again. One pan just went to the trash because of this hehe. :biggrin:

Bismuth is also a relatively strongly diamagnetic substance, i.e. it gets repelled by a magnetic field. If you mount your probe on a string and bring a strong magnet close (best one of these small neodymium magnets) it will turn away.

Likes BetaZeta2016
Cool experiment too! I tried it with some magnets from old hard drives.

Bismuth diamagnetism is very weak.
But still stronger than any other material i have ever seen.

What is bismuth and why is it used in experiments?

Bismuth is a chemical element with the symbol Bi and atomic number 83. It is a brittle, silvery-white metal that is commonly used in experiments due to its low toxicity and unique physical properties.

What are some common methods for conducting experiments with bismuth?

Some common methods for conducting experiments with bismuth include thermal decomposition, electrolysis, and chemical reactions with other elements.

What safety precautions should be taken when working with bismuth?

Bismuth is a relatively safe element to work with, but it is important to wear gloves and safety glasses to protect against potential skin and eye irritation. It is also recommended to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes.

What are some potential applications of bismuth in scientific research?

Bismuth has a variety of potential applications in scientific research, including its use as a catalyst in chemical reactions, in the production of cosmetics and pigments, and in the development of new materials for electronic devices.

How can I continue my experimentation with bismuth if I don't have access to a laboratory?

If you do not have access to a laboratory, you can still continue your experimentation with bismuth by conducting research, reading scientific literature, and collaborating with other scientists. You can also purchase bismuth products online for personal experimentation.