How Can I Continue Studying Physics on My Own?

• Thread starter Unicyclist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Most likely you would need a book for each semester, but that isn't too hard to find. You might also try the library.
Unicyclist
I have recently graduated from High School. I got my A-levels in Maths and Physics and did the Advanced Extension in Physics(liked it a lot, too). I want to continue studying physics at university, however it seems to be not possible right now, so I'll take a break for a year and go to Cyprus College to take a course in Electrical Engineering or something like that(I'm not all too excited about it). It'll have some introductory level lectures in physics and maths, but I doubt it'll be enough for me. So, basically I want to study a bit of physics on my own before I get to go to university.

How would I go about doing that? Can you point me to some good resources that would allow self-tutoring in physics and maths? I need theory and I need some exercises with answers for me to check myself. I'm also thinking of purchasing a few text-books, but probably not just yet.

Hmm, maybe the electrical engineering can help me with laboratory physics... You never know.

Edit: whoops, no electrical engineering, it's all computer engineering, which is way worse in my opinion. You can read the course descriphttp://www.cycollege.ac.cy/academics/default.cfm?category=2&subcategory=4&school=4ere...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/index.htm

There are a few universities doing similar things (offering notes/homework from courses online) but most if not all require a textbook of some sort. If you feel like skirting the law a bit, there are a large number of physics books availible through BitTorrent (I used a PDF copy of Griffiths' Intro to Electrodynamics until I could afford the book :P). My thoughts on it is that if you are going to buy the book eventually (which you most definitely should!) it is fine to download it until you can afford it.

Also, many libraries (university and otherwise) offer copies of physics texts. A third option is ordering an older version of a common text (Halliday, Resnick, and Walker for example) online. These will generally be much, much cheaper than the current edition. Amazon is a good site for this.

Oh, and wikipedia is a surprisingly good way to get a good overview of a topic.

Hope this helps a little!

This is the first year textbook for a number of UK uni physics first year undergrad courses:

http://bcs.whfreeman.com/tiplerphysics5e/default.asp?s=&n=&i=&v=&o=&ns=0&uid=0&rau=0

Costs forty quid on Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those MIT lecture notes seem quite useful. And the questions are a bit more challenging than what I'm used to from school. I like it.

What books would you recommend getting? I'm thinking to get the Feynman lectures, as apparently they're really good.

I suggest you suplement the feynman lectures, with something else. As entertaining as they are, they aren't a very suitable introduction to physics(buy them anyway though).

The Feynam lectures are a very good read, for physics grad students,
they do assume a very high background in maths.
You could call the physics dept admissions and ask what the intro physics books are for their classes.

1. How can I find resources for studying physics on my own?

There are many online resources available for studying physics on your own, such as textbooks, lecture videos, and interactive simulations. You can also join online communities or forums where you can ask for recommendations and advice from other self-studying physics enthusiasts. Additionally, many universities offer open courseware or free online courses on physics that you can access and use as study materials.

2. Do I need a strong mathematical background to study physics on my own?

While having a strong foundation in math is certainly helpful, it is not a requirement for studying physics on your own. It is possible to learn the basics of physics without advanced math skills, and you can always brush up on math concepts as you go along. However, having a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry will make it easier to grasp more complex physics concepts.

3. Is it possible to conduct experiments and practice hands-on learning while studying physics on my own?

Yes, there are several ways to conduct experiments and practice hands-on learning while studying physics on your own. Many online resources offer virtual labs and simulations that allow you to perform experiments and observe outcomes in a controlled environment. You can also purchase physics kits or build simple experiments using household items. Additionally, joining a local physics club or finding a study partner can provide opportunities for hands-on learning.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying physics on my own?

Staying motivated while studying any subject on your own can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. Set specific and achievable goals for yourself, and track your progress as you reach each goal. Joining a study group or finding a study partner can also provide accountability and motivation. Additionally, take breaks and reward yourself for your hard work to avoid burnout.

5. What are some tips for effectively self-studying physics?

Some tips for self-studying physics include creating a study schedule and sticking to it, breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, and actively engaging with the material by asking questions and practicing problems. It is also helpful to have a designated study space and to eliminate distractions while studying. Don't be afraid to reach out for help or clarification when needed, and remember to take breaks and stay motivated.