Continuity of piecewise function undefined for 1<x<=2

In summary, the piecewise function f(x) defined on the interval [0,1] U (2,3] is claimed to be continuous in a math book. However, it is not continuous on R and is undefined for values between 1 and 2. This is because the function is only defined on certain intervals and the limit definition of continuity does not apply at points outside of the declared domain.
Repetit
My math book claims that the piecewise function f : [0,1] U (2,3] --> R defined by

f(x)=
x for 0<=x<=1
x-1 for 2<x<=3

is continuous. But it's undefined for 1<x<=2 so how can it be continuous? According to the definition of continuity, a function is at a point x0 if for a sequence x_n converging to x0 the image limit converges to f(x0), that is (the limit taking n to infinity)

lim(f(x_n))=f(x0)

But I cannot really figure out how this would work at x0=2 since I would then have to take f(2) which I can't since it is undefined there.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is NOT continuous on R and your math book doesn't say it is. Note that, for example [itex]f:R\rightarrow R[/itex], defined by f(x)= 1/x, is a different function than \(\displaystyle f:(-\infty, 0)\cup (0, \infty)\). The first is not a continuous function because it is not continuous at x= 0. The second is a continuous function because it is continuous at every point in it given domain.

"lim(f(x_n)= f(x0)" doesn't have to work at x= 2 because 2 is not in the declared domain of the function.

What does it mean for a piecewise function to be undefined for 1

When a piecewise function is undefined for 1

Why is the continuity of a piecewise function important?

The continuity of a piecewise function is important because it determines if the function is smooth and without any breaks or jumps in its graph. This can affect the behavior and accuracy of the function in certain situations.

Can a piecewise function be continuous at a point where it is undefined?

No, a piecewise function cannot be continuous at a point where it is undefined. The function must have a defined value at that point in order for it to be continuous.

How can I determine the continuity of a piecewise function?

To determine the continuity of a piecewise function, you must check if the function is defined and has the same value at the point where the pieces meet. If the function is defined at the point and the values match, then the function is continuous at that point.

What are the implications of a piecewise function being undefined for 1

The implications of a piecewise function being undefined for 1