Continuity of the determinant function

In summary, we have shown that the determinant function assigned to a general nxn matrix with real entries is continuous, by using the definition of continuity and the fact that the determinant is a polynomial in the coordinates of ##\mathbb{R}^{n^2}##.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
This is something I seek a proof of.

Theorem: Let ## \mbox{det}:\mbox{Mat}_{n\times n}(\mathbb{R}) \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## be the determinant function assigned to a general nxn matrix with real entries. Prove this mapping is continuous.

My attempt. Continuity must be judged in ##\mathbb{R}##, so it should eventually go down to an epsilon-delta proof. I was first thinking to identify ##\mbox{Mat}_{n\times n}(\mathbb{R}) = \mathbb{R}^{n^2}##. How do I go further?

Physics news on Phys.org
dextercioby said:
This is something I seek a proof of.

Theorem: Let ## \mbox{det}:\mbox{Mat}_{n\times n}(\mathbb{R}) \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## be the determinant function assigned to a general nxn matrix with real entries. Prove this mapping is continuous.

My attempt. Continuity must be judged in ##\mathbb{R}##, so it should eventually go down to an epsilon-delta proof. I was first thinking to identify ##\mbox{Mat}_{n\times n}(\mathbb{R}) = \mathbb{R}^{n^2}##. How do I go further?

Note that the determinant is a polynomial in the ##n^2## coordinates of ##R^{n^2}##. For instance for a ##R^4## it is ##xw-yz##.

To prove continuity, we need to show that for any given small change in the input matrix, there is a small change in the output determinant. In other words, if we have a sequence of matrices {A_n} that converges to a matrix A, then the corresponding determinants {det(A_n)} should also converge to det(A).

Let's start by defining what we mean by convergence of matrices. We say that a sequence of matrices {A_n} converges to a matrix A if for any given ε>0, there exists an index N such that for all n>N, the distance between A_n and A (measured by any matrix norm) is less than ε. In other words, the matrices in the sequence eventually get very close to A.

Now, let's consider the sequence of determinants {det(A_n)} corresponding to the sequence of matrices {A_n}. We want to show that this sequence also converges to det(A). To do this, we will use the definition of continuity for functions.

Let ε>0 be given. We need to find a δ>0 such that if the distance between A_n and A is less than δ, then the distance between det(A_n) and det(A) is less than ε. This is the same as saying that if the matrices in our sequence are close to each other, then their determinants are also close to each other.

Since we have identified ##\mbox{Mat}_{n\times n}(\mathbb{R}) = \mathbb{R}^{n^2}##, we can use the Euclidean norm on matrices to measure their distance. So, let's choose δ=ε. Now, if the distance between A_n and A is less than δ=ε, then the distance between det(A_n) and det(A) is also less than ε, since the determinant function is a continuous function on ##\mathbb{R}^{n^2}##.

Therefore, we have shown that for any given ε>0, there exists a δ>0 such that if the distance between A_n and A is less than δ, then the distance between det(A_n) and det(A) is less than ε. This is the definition of continuity, and hence we have proven that the determinant function is continuous.

1. What is the determinant function?

The determinant function is a mathematical operation that takes a square matrix as its input and produces a scalar value as its output. It is used to calculate certain properties of a matrix, such as its volume, area, or orientation.

2. How is the determinant function related to continuity?

The continuity of the determinant function refers to its ability to produce consistent and predictable results when the input matrix is changed slightly. In other words, small changes in the values of the matrix should result in small changes in the determinant value, indicating a smooth and continuous function.

3. What is the significance of continuity in the determinant function?

Continuity is important in the determinant function because it allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations based on small changes in the input matrix. It also allows us to generalize the function to larger matrices and apply it to more complex problems.

4. Can the determinant function ever be discontinuous?

Yes, the determinant function can be discontinuous in certain cases, such as when the input matrix has a singularity or when the dimensions of the matrix are not consistent. In these cases, the function may produce unexpected or undefined results.

5. How is continuity of the determinant function tested?

To test for continuity, we can use the limit definition of continuity and check if the limit of the determinant function exists and is equal to the function value at that point. We can also use techniques such as the intermediate value theorem and the epsilon-delta definition to prove continuity.