Continuous and differentiable function

In summary, the conversation discusses the statement that for a function f:R->R, it can be written as the sum of an even function, f1, and an odd function, f2. It is mentioned that if f is continuous, then f1 and f2 can be chosen to be continuous, and if f is differentiable, then f1 and f2 can be chosen to be differentiable. The speaker raises a question about the possibility of f1 being continuous and f2 not being continuous, but the statement does not mention this scenario. The speaker also provides an example of two discontinuous functions that can sum to a continuous one. In summary, the statement is true and can be explained using standard methods.
frankpupu
function f:R->R can be written as a sum f=f1+f2 where f1 is even and f2 is odd。then if f is continuous then f1 and f2 may be chosen continuous, and if f is differentiable then f1 and f2 can be chosen differentiable

i am quiet confusing this statement , if f1 is continuous f2 is not how their sum to be continuous and differentiable as well. but i am sure this statement is true. can someone explain to me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if you could have [itex]f_1[/itex] continuous everywhere and [itex]f_2[/itex] discontinuous. A simple way that you could have two discontinuous functions sum to a continuous one is if you take cosine from [itex]-\infty<\theta\leq 0[/itex] and 0 when greater than zero as [itex]f_1[/itex] and then a similar thing but where it is defined on the positive number and 0 for the negatives (and at 0 or else it will still be discontinuous). Individually there is a discontinuity at 0, but when you add them they are continuous.

This is a trivial case, but I hope it makes it clear.

frankpupu said:
function f:R->R can be written as a sum f=f1+f2 where f1 is even and f2 is odd。then if f is continuous then f1 and f2 may be chosen continuous, and if f is differentiable then f1 and f2 can be chosen differentiable

i am quiet confusing this statement , if f1 is continuous f2 is not how their sum to be continuous and differentiable as well. but i am sure this statement is true. can someone explain to me ?
You are correct that if f1 is continuous at, say, x= a, and f2 is not, then f cannot be continuous at x= a. But why are you raising the question? This statement says nothing about "f1 is continuous f2 is not". It simply says that if f is continuous then f1 and f2 can both be chosen to be continuous. Here it is fairly standard to take f1= (f(x)+ f(-x))/2 and f2= (f(x)- f(-x))/2. If f is continuous, so are f1 and f2. If f is differentiable, so are f1 and f2.

1. What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function that has a smooth and unbroken graph, with no abrupt changes or breaks. This means that as the input values change, the output values also change in a continuous and predictable manner.

2. How is continuity different from differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are both properties of functions, but they are not the same. Continuity means that the function is smooth and unbroken, while differentiability refers to the ability to calculate the slope or rate of change of the function at a given point. A function can be continuous without being differentiable, but if a function is differentiable, it must also be continuous.

3. What is the difference between a continuous function and a discontinuous function?

A continuous function has a smooth and unbroken graph, while a discontinuous function has breaks or jumps in its graph. This means that the output values of a discontinuous function may suddenly change even if the input values are close together.

4. How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if it meets the three criteria of continuity: the function is defined at the point in question, the limit of the function as the input values approach the point exists, and the limit is equal to the value of the function at that point. If all three criteria are met, the function is continuous at that point.

5. Can a function be continuous but not differentiable?

Yes, a function can be continuous without being differentiable. This is because continuity only requires that the function is smooth and unbroken, while differentiability also requires that the function has a defined slope at every point. A function may have a sharp turn or corner in its graph, making it continuous but not differentiable at that point.