Continuous and differentiable functions

A function is left continuous at a point if the limit of the function from the left side exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. Similarly, a function has a left derivative at a point if the limit of the difference quotient from the left side exists. This is the same concept as for normal differentiability, but only from one direction.In summary, if a function is not continuous, it cannot be differentiated. This statement holds true for both left and right continuous and derivative functions. The concept of left and right differentiability refers to the existence of a limit from one direction, rather than both.
member 587159
"If a function can be differentiated, it is a continuous function"

By contraposition: "If a function is not continuous, it cannot be differentiated"

Here comes the question: Is the following statement true?

"If a function is not right(left) continuous in a certain point a, then the function has no right(left) derivative in that point"

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never heard of a right or left derivative, but I suppose the logic is right.
Think of the limit form definition of the derivative. If you look at:
##\lim_{x\to a^+}\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}## as the definition of a right derivative at a, then clearly if there is a dicontinuity on the right side of a there can be no derivative.

Likes member 587159
Please define the term "left continuous" and "left derivative".

micromass said:

I translated this freely to English. I supposed it was clear when I used "left continuous and left derivative" ,

left continuous; lim x>a- f(x) = f(a)
left derivative; lim x>a- (f(x) - f(a))/(x-a)
Those are the definitions I know for functions R -> R

just use the same argument as for 2 sided limits.

RUber said:
I have never heard of a right or left derivative, but I suppose the logic is right.
micromass said:

Technically, left and right differentiability refer to semi-differentiability, which is weaker than normal differentiability.

What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a function that does not have any abrupt changes or jumps in its graph. This means that the function is smooth and connected without any breaks or holes.

What is a differentiable function?

A differentiable function is a function that has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the function is smooth and has a unique slope at every point.

What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

The main difference between continuity and differentiability is that continuity only requires the function to be smooth and connected, while differentiability requires the function to have a well-defined derivative at every point. In other words, all differentiable functions are continuous, but not all continuous functions are differentiable.

How can you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if it satisfies the three-part definition of continuity: the function is defined at the point in question, the limit of the function at that point exists, and the limit is equal to the value of the function at that point. If all three conditions are met, the function is continuous.

How can you determine if a function is differentiable?

A function is differentiable if the derivative of the function exists at every point in its domain. This can be determined by taking the limit of the difference quotient of the function as the change in x approaches 0. If the limit exists, the function is differentiable. Additionally, a function is differentiable if it is continuous and has a well-defined slope at every point.