1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuum Mechanics textbook with solutions at back / available

1. Dec 25, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I'm currently trying to teach myself continuum mechanics (as I am enrolled in a course for which continuum mechanics is a pre requisite and have never taken such course)

I have been reading a book by mase and mase "introduction to continuum mechanics for engineers" 2nd edition. I find it quite easy to read / understand however I am stuck on many of the questions at the end of the chapter and there appears to be no solutions available.

Does anyone know of another intro to continuum mechanics book that would have assigned problems and solutions at the back of the book?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2012 #2
  4. Dec 26, 2012 #3
    You can also "search inside" book on amazon to see if its what you want (you may know that)

5. Jan 7, 2013 #4
    I agree with FeynmanIsCool that some of the Schaum's stuff is great, but this particular outline is very outdated, so be careful. For example, the variables they use are not used in any other literature (e.x. their Lagrangian strain is expressed with "L," their "velocity gradient" is expressed with "Y," and their "spin tensor" is "V" -- all very strange choices).

Furthermore, continuum mechanics describes the physics that Finite Element Analysis (FEA) codes use to solve problems, so an understanding of where the equations come from is the whole point. Schaum's book, which is an outline, skips all of the derivations, and therefore misses the point. In other words, I don't think that glossing over the continuum mechanics formulas and then solving a bunch of academic problems is the right approach for learning continuum mechanics. You will find that 1) no one solves problems by hand using continuum mechanics, ever, and 2) none of my courses on continuum mechanics required us to solve problems, per se, even on exams (instead, we were asked to work through derivations on the exams).

What course are you enrolled in that requires continuum mechanics? If you need some fluid mechanics background, I can't help you, unfortunately. But if you need solid mechanics background, I can give you some suggestions.

6. Jan 8, 2013 #5

I am taking a micromechanics course, which lists knowledge of continuum mechanics as a prerequisite

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook