1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contravariant Four-gradient ESN in Wikipedia appears wrong

1. Oct 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am self studying relativity. In Wikipedia under the four-gradient section, the contravariant four-vector looks wrong from an Einstein summation notation point of view.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-vector

2. Relevant equations

It states:

E
    00-E11-E22-E33 = Eαα

3. The attempt at a solution
    As it is it looks wrong to me. Is it wrong or is it NOT ESN or something else?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!
    I agree with you that it doesn't look right. For the contravariant form of the 4-gradient they have
    upload_2016-10-11_22-11-0.png
    I don't think there should be any negative signs in the first four lines. The last four lines look correct to me. So, I believe the Einstein summation works as follows $$\partial = E_\alpha \partial^\alpha = E_0 \partial ^0 + E_1 \partial ^1 +E_2 \partial ^2 + E_3 \partial ^3$$ where $$\partial^1 \equiv \frac{\partial}{\partial x_ {_1}} = -\frac{\partial}{\partial x^1}$$ etc.

4. Oct 13, 2016 #3
    Thanks so much for your comment and help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted