Convention for italicizing particle symbols

In summary, a student is writing their final year paper and is unsure whether to italicize mesons and quarks when mentioning them by their symbols. They have noticed that different style guides and papers have conflicting recommendations on this matter.
Mithra
Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place, not really sure whether it should be homework questions or here!

I'm writing my final year paper and frequently mention mesons and quarks by their symbols and am unsure whether I should be italicizing them? My latex package for writing them easily doesn't seem to by default and the IUPAP style guide seems to say they shouldn't be. However in the papers I'm reading (from ATLAS collaboration etc.) particle names do seem to be italicized and I remember reading somewhere that they should be italicized for when referring to a generic particle of the type and non-italic when referring to a specific one i.e. in a specific interaction?

If anyone could offer guidance it would be brilliant thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
IUPAC recommends roman letters for particle symbols, but the Particle Data Group uses italics.

What is the purpose of the Convention for italicizing particle symbols?

The Convention for italicizing particle symbols is a guideline used by scientists to signify the type of particle represented by a particular symbol. It helps to differentiate between different types of particles and is especially important in fields such as physics and chemistry.

Why is it important to italicize particle symbols?

Italicizing particle symbols is important because it helps to distinguish them from other symbols and makes them stand out in scientific writing. It also follows a standard convention that is widely accepted in the scientific community.

Are there any exceptions to italicizing particle symbols?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the Convention for italicizing particle symbols. For example, symbols that are derived from a person's name or those that have become widely accepted in their non-italicized form, such as the symbol for electron (e-), are not italicized.

Do all scientific fields follow the same Convention for italicizing particle symbols?

No, some scientific fields may have their own specific conventions for italicizing particle symbols. It is important to consult the style guide or guidelines of a particular field or journal before following the Convention.

What is the proper way to format particle symbols in scientific writing?

The proper way to format particle symbols in scientific writing is to italicize them, unless they fall under one of the exceptions mentioned earlier. It is also important to use the correct superscript or subscript format, depending on the type of particle being represented.