Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conventions on Nomenclature and Practices

1. Nov 4, 2006 #1

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Google "IUPAB" and get http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...nion+of+pure+and+applied+biology"&btnG=Search , a short list indicating very little activity.

Is there some sort of professional standards group recommending practices and nomenclature in the life science fields?

The specific question I have is, "Is there a 'standard' definition of femur length?" See http://www.loris-conservation.org/d...easurement/11a-figures_limb_measurements.html ,
    "Leg measurements, primate standard, according to Schultz, 1929:

Thigh length (length of femur): from trochanterium summum to femorale, parallel to the longitudinal axis of femur.
    Ischium-knee (Osman Hill, Phillips 1932). No exact definition given."

There's ~5% difference in the two measurements which is the difference between two species between which I'm trying to distinguish, and my references don't specify a measurement protocol, hence the question about IUPAB; is there a "convention" that is understood by people in the life sciences that I can "safely" assume?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2006 #2
  4. Nov 4, 2006 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's what I was afraid of --- the "no."

5. Nov 6, 2006 #4

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've already reasearched cladistic values for your species - ie., since you "know" there is a 5% difference, use the method the original researchers used in papers you must have already read.

Or define your own method, unless you're going to compare your data to someone elses'. As long as you are internally consistent your data analysis will be acceptable for use amongst the species you study.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?