1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence/Divergence of an Infinite Series

1. Oct 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    To Determine Whether the series seen below is convergent or divergent.
    2. Relevant equations
    ∑(n/((n+1)(n+2))) From n=1 to infinity.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Tried to use the comparison test as the bottom is n^2 + 3n + 2, comparing to 1/n. However, this does not work as the first series is "smaller" than the harmonic series and thus it can't be proved to be divergent. I also tried to separate it into partial fractions but I don't know how to prove it is divergent from there. Thanks a lot for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Is it still smaller if you start the harmonic series at six? And does this make the harmonic series convergent?

4. Oct 8, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Have you seen the limit comparison test?

Also, this is definitely not a precalculus problem, so I have moved it to the calculus section.

5. Oct 8, 2016 #4
    Hi,
    Thanks for the response. So to prove using comparison just start harmonic series at six. Makes sense, I hadn't thought of that.
    Referring to Mark44's response, no, I haven't heard of the limit comparison test, however, I will look it up.
    Thanks heaps for your time and input.

6. Oct 9, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see how starting the harmonic series at six solves the problem, unless you also do some other things at the same time.

To me, the simplest solution is to note that for ##n \geq 1## we have ##n/(n+1) \geq 1/2##, so that
    $$t_n \equiv \frac{n}{(n+1)(n+2)} \geq \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{n+2}.$$
    That means
    $$\sum_{n=1}^N t_n \geq \sum_{n=1}^N \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{n+2} = \frac{1}{2} \left[\frac{1}{3}+ \frac{1}{4} + \cdots + \frac{1}{N+2} \right] $$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted