Convergence of series with natural logarithm in denominator

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
edoz
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/3609/unleddn.png

note that by log(n), i really mean NATURAL log of n

Homework Equations


it's convergent, but I can't figure out which test to use

The Attempt at a Solution


there is no term to the nth power, so ratio test is useless; root test is useless too; comparison test would seem to be the best option, but I can't figure out how to compare when I have a natural log in the expression... limit comparison test takes me nowhere either.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the log(n) is just there to throw you off. [tex]\log(n) < n^{1/2}[/tex] asymptotically right. Do you have a theorem showing that [tex]\sum \frac{1}{n^{3/2}}[/tex] is convergent?
 
yes, p-series are convergen if p>1;

now i get it, I just need to compare it with the series you just shown, since with the (n+1) the original series will always be smaller than the convergent series you shown, therefore convergent too.