Convergence of sum with n² over (2+1/n)ⁿ

  • Thread starter Thread starter twoflower
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Convergence Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
twoflower
Messages
363
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I have this sum:

[tex] \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{n^2}{ \left( 2 + \frac{1}{n} \right)^{n}}[/tex]

I tried d'Alembert, I tried comparing it with [itex]\frac{1}{2^{n}}[/itex], but without success.

Could somebody point me to the right direction please?

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\lim (2+1/n)^n = \lim (2(1+1/2(1/n))^n =\lim 2^n (1+1/n)^{n/2}[/tex]
can you get from here?
 
vincentchan said:
[tex]\lim (2+1/n)^n = \lim (2(1+1/2(1/n))^n =\lim 2^n (1+1/n)^{n/2}[/tex]
can you get from here?

Thank you vincentchan, but I don't understand the second step - how can I get

[tex] \left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)^{n/2}[/tex]

from

[tex] \left(1+\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)\right)^{n}[/tex]

I know it must be some simple algebraic adjustment but I can't see that...
 
use change of variable, let u=n/2 the limit will become u->infinity/2, but infinity divided by 2 is also infinity... so u->infinity
 
OH... i made a mistake in post 2, the big idea is the same... see if you can catch it...
 
You can also compare it with:

[tex]\sum_n \frac{n^2}{2^n}[/tex]
 
vincentchan said:
use change of variable, let u=n/2 the limit will become u->infinity/2, but infinity divided by 2 is also infinity... so u->infinity

I see it now (with being aware of the mistake you did :) ) I wouldn't see the possibility of the change at the first look, however.
 
Galileo said:
You can also compare it with:

[tex]\sum_n \frac{n^2}{2^n}[/tex]

You're right, this is probably the easiest way. Thank you.