Convergence of the Sequence √n(√(n+1)-√n) to 1/2

In summary, to prove that ##\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty} \sqrt{n}(\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}) = \frac{1}{2}##, you can directly show that the limit is smaller than a half by using the definition of convergence and finding a lower bound. However, a simpler method is to cancel out ##\sqrt{n}## and use limit arithmetic.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Show that ##\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty} \sqrt{n}(\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}) = \frac{1}{2}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We see that ##\displaystyle \sqrt{n}(\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}) - \frac{1}{2} = \frac{\sqrt{n}}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}} - \frac{1}{2} < \frac{\sqrt{n}}{2\sqrt{n}} - \frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{2} = 0##. But I don't think this can be right... What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
##\frac{\sqrt{n}}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}}##

Try dividing the top and bottom of this fraction by something, then take the limit as ##n\rightarrow \infty##.

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Show that ##\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty} \sqrt{n}(\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}) = \frac{1}{2}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We see that ##\displaystyle \sqrt{n}(\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}) - \frac{1}{2} = \frac{\sqrt{n}}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}} - \frac{1}{2} < \frac{\sqrt{n}}{2\sqrt{n}} - \frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{2} = 0##. But I don't think this can be right... What am I doing wrong?
Nothing, except that the step of subtracting ##\dfrac{1}{2}## is unnecessary. You can directly go to
$$
\sqrt{n}(\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n})=\dfrac{\sqrt{n}(\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n})(\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n})}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}}=\dfrac{\sqrt{n}}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}}< \dfrac{\sqrt{n}}{2\sqrt{n}}=\dfrac{1}{2}
$$
Now the limit is definitely smaller than a half. What a bout the lower bound?

fresh_42 said:
Nothing, except that the step of subtracting ##\dfrac{1}{2}## is unnecessary. You can directly go to
$$
\sqrt{n}(\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n})=\dfrac{\sqrt{n}(\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n})(\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n})}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}}=\dfrac{\sqrt{n}}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}}< \dfrac{\sqrt{n}}{2\sqrt{n}}=\dfrac{1}{2}
$$
Now the limit is definitely smaller than a half. What a bout the lower bound?
Well a lower bound would be 0. But I am trying to do this using the definition of convergence. I'm doing the scratchwork to find the ##N## and can associate with every ##\epsilon##. Like normally in the end we get like a difference between the sequence and the limit as ##1/n < \epsilon##, and so we select ##N## s.t. ##1/N < \epsilon##, and by the archimdedian principle this exists. However, in this case I just get that the difference is 0...

Mr Davis 97 said:
Well a lower bound would be 0. But I am trying to do this using the definition of convergence. I'm doing the scratchwork to find the ##N## and can associate with every ##\epsilon##. Like normally in the end we get like a difference between the sequence and the limit as ##1/n < \epsilon##, and so we select ##N## s.t. ##1/N < \epsilon##, and by the archimdedian principle this exists. However, in this case I just get that the difference is 0...
You need to prove something like ##\frac{1}{2}-\frac{c}{n} \leq a_n## so that the gap is closing down with increasing ##n##.
However, the easier method is to follow @Eclair_de_XII 's suggestion and simply cancel out ##\sqrt{n}## and then use the rules given for limit arithmetic. My question only refers to the way you have chosen, in which case you need a lower bound.

What is the definition of convergence?

Convergence refers to the coming together or merging of two or more separate entities into one unified entity. In terms of science, it often refers to the process of combining different theories or ideas into a single theory or understanding.

How does convergence differ from divergence?

While convergence involves the merging of separate entities, divergence involves the splitting or branching off of one entity into multiple separate entities. In science, divergence often refers to the development of new species or ideas.

What are some examples of convergence in science?

One example of convergence in science is the theory of evolution, which combines biological and genetic theories to explain the diversity of life on Earth. Another example is the theory of relativity, which combines Newton's laws of motion with the concept of space-time to explain the behavior of objects in the universe.

Why is convergence important in scientific research?

Convergence allows scientists to combine different ideas and theories to create a more comprehensive understanding of a particular phenomenon. This can lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields of science.

Are there any potential drawbacks to convergence?

While convergence can be beneficial in many ways, it can also lead to oversimplification or the loss of important nuances in individual theories. Additionally, it may be challenging to merge conflicting ideas or theories, leading to debates and disagreements within the scientific community.