Convergent/divergent series problem

• Thread starter PaleRider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, we are trying to determine whether the series Ʃ (1+2^n)/(3^n) as n=1 to infinite is convergent or divergent. After testing for divergence and finding that the limit of the series is 0, we know that the series is convergent. To find its sum, we can break the series into two parts and use the formula for a geometric series to solve for the remaining summation.
PaleRider

Homework Statement

Determine whether the series is convergent of divergent. If it is convergent find its sum.

Ʃ (1+2^n)/(3^n) as n=1 to infinite.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly sure where to start with this. I tried to test for divergence but I don't know how to solve the limit. I tried to find a pattern with partial sums, but did not find anything relevant. Am I approaching this the wrong way? I kinda need a kick in the right direction.

EDIT: Was looking at the limit for test of divergence incorrectly. So now I know that the limit of an = 0 (after L'Hospital's rule and whatnot). Since an is convergent, I now must find the sum of the series...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you know the series converges?

I know the series is convergent because the limit of the series = 0. Test for divergence says that the series is divergent if the limit of the series does not exist, or if the series does not equal 0.

I made some more progress:

Ʃ (1 + 2^n)/(3^n)
= Ʃ 1/(3^n) + (2^n)/(3^n)
= Ʃ 1/(3^n) + Ʃ (2^n)/(3^n)
= 1/2 + Ʃ (2^n)/(3^n)
=?

I'm not quite sure how to solve the remaining summation. Is it a geometric series?

Ʃ (2^n)/(3^n) = Ʃ (2/3)^n = 2

PaleRider said:
I know the series is convergent because the limit of the series = 0. Test for divergence says that the series is divergent if the limit of the series does not exist, or if the series does not equal 0.
You may be misunderstanding. It is true that if the limit of the sequence [itex]\lim_{n\to 0} a_n[/itex] is not 0 then the series [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n[/itex] cannot converge. But if the limit of the sequence is 0, then the series may or may not \onverge. [itex]\lim_{n\to 0} 1/n = 0[/itex] but [itex]\sum 1/n[/itex] does NOT converge.

I made some more progress:

Ʃ (1 + 2^n)/(3^n)
= Ʃ 1/(3^n) + (2^n)/(3^n)
= Ʃ 1/(3^n) + Ʃ (2^n)/(3^n)
= 1/2 + Ʃ (2^n)/(3^n)
=?

I'm not quite sure how to solve the remaining summation. Is it a geometric series?
[tex]\frac{2^n}{3^n}= \left(\frac{2}{3}\right)[/tex].

1. What is a convergent series?

A convergent series is a mathematical series in which the sum of its infinite terms approaches a finite limit. In other words, as more and more terms are added to the series, the total value of the series gets closer and closer to a specific number.

2. What is a divergent series?

A divergent series is a mathematical series in which the sum of its infinite terms does not approach any finite limit. In other words, as more and more terms are added to the series, the total value of the series continues to increase or decrease without ever reaching a specific number.

3. How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

The convergence or divergence of a series can be determined by applying various mathematical tests, such as the ratio test, the comparison test, or the integral test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and their relationship to other known series.

4. What is the importance of the convergence or divergence of a series?

The convergence or divergence of a series is important in mathematics because it helps to determine the behavior and properties of functions and equations. In some cases, the convergence or divergence of a series can indicate the accuracy or validity of a mathematical model or solution.

5. Can a divergent series still have a finite sum?

No, a divergent series cannot have a finite sum. The definition of a divergent series is that its sum does not approach any finite limit, meaning it either tends towards positive or negative infinity or oscillates between different values.