For what values of p does the alternating series 1/n^p converge?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tarheelborn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Convergent Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
tarheelborn
Messages
121
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



For what values of p does the series [1/1^p - 1/2^p + 1/3^p - 1/4^p +... converge?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I believe that this series converges for all p \in N because the sequence of a_n's is nonincreasing and converges to 0. I am not quite sure, however, to show that it converges to 0. I know that the sequence 1/n converges to 0 and I know that p is fixed, but I don't know how to massage that information into what I need. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the series is alternating, then you only need to show that [tex]|a_n| \leq |a_{n-1}|[/tex] and that the sequence of ans converges to zero.

A sequence converges to zero if for any positive real number [tex]\epsilon[/tex], you can find a N large enough so that [tex]a_n < \epsilon[/tex] for all n>N.
 
Right; I understand the epsilon proof and the theorem related to alternating series. Although I know it sounds really dumb, I am having trouble finding N.
 
[tex]\frac{1}{N^p} = \epsilon.[/tex]

Now, for certain kinds of p you can always find an N for every epsilon.