Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converse Statement of Uniform Continuity

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    Recently, I proved that Given [tex]f:A \rightarrow \mathbb R[/tex] is uniformly continuous and [tex](x_{n}) \subseteq A[/tex] is a Cauchy Sequence, then [tex]f(x_{n})[/tex] is a Cauchy sequence, which really isn't too difficult a proof, however I'm having issues with the converse statement... More specifically, Suppose [tex]A \subseteq \mathbb R[/tex] and [tex]f: A \rightarrow \mathbb R[/tex] with the property that it preserves Cauchy sequences in [tex]A[/tex], i.e. [tex]x_{n} \in A[/tex] and [tex]{x_{n}}[/tex] is Cauchy, [tex]{f(x_{n})}[/tex] is Cauchy, then prove that [tex]f[/tex] is uniformly continuous on [tex]A[/tex]

My idea was to show by way of contradiction that the boundedness of [tex]A[/tex] cannot be removed, which would then imply that [tex]x_{n}[/tex] is not Cauchy if it were removed, which implies that [tex]f(x_{n})[/tex] is not Cauchy. From this point, I'm a bit stuck... I was under that impression that I could use Cauchy Criterion, which states that a sequence converges iff it is a Cauchy sequence, and since [tex]x_{n}[/tex] isn't a Cauchy sequence, then it doesn't converge, which implies that it cannot be continuous on all points in [tex]\mathbb R[/tex], which implies that it is not continuous on [tex]\mathbb R[/tex], therefore cannot be uniform continuous on [tex]\mathbb R[/tex].

Perhaps contrapositive would work better? Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2009 #2
    I think the best way to handle this is to look at the contrapositive, since that's a good way to generate sequences. From the perspective of the contrapositive, we can basically always pick two points x and y arbitrarily close while their images are a fixed distance apart. It shouldn't be too hard to show that this would imply that we can find a sequence that is Cauchy (eventually any two terms are arbitrarily close), but the image sequence is not Cauchy (images of terms are a fixed distance apart).

4. Nov 10, 2009 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about f(x) = x2?

5. Nov 10, 2009 #4
    Good point, you need A to be compact for this to work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook