Conversion formula creation assistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a mass air flow sensor that outputs a signal in hertz which relates to grams per second. The individual is trying to create a formula to easily convert the Hz to G/s, but has only been able to gather a few samples of information. They are unsure if it is possible to generate a formula from these data points, as some of the data may be off by a few percent. The conversation also mentions plotting the data in a graph and using a linear trend line to create a model.
Cadbury204
Hi,

I'm working on a project that uses a mass air flow sensor. It outputs a signal in hertz which relates to grams per second.

I am trying to create a formula that I can use to easily convert the Hz to G/s.

I have only been able to get a few samples of information to assist in the creation of the formula.

Is it possible to generate a formula from these data points?

Note: some of this data may be off by a few percent.

G/s Hertz
0 1700
2.75 4300
5.8 5680
3.97 4880
3.7 4800
6 5800
10.2 7150
12.4 7800
2.8 4300
3.1 4500
2.75 4300
13.53 8200
15.6 8800
22 9800
26 10500
28 11000
35 12100
44 13000

Any help is appreciated

-Cad

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried plotting this data?

I have put it into a graph in excel. But I'm not to sure where to go from here.

http://gi161.photobucket.com/groups/t208/O8ECKS3D6V/Untitled.png

-Cad

A good start would be to add a linear trend line, use the formula for the trend line as your model.

1. What is a conversion formula?

A conversion formula is a mathematical expression used to convert the units of one quantity to the units of another quantity. It allows you to convert between different systems of measurement, such as from feet to meters or from pounds to kilograms.

2. Why is it important to create accurate conversion formulas?

Accurate conversion formulas are important because they ensure consistency and precision in measurement. They also help to avoid errors and confusion when converting between units, which is especially crucial in scientific and engineering fields.

3. How do I create a conversion formula?

To create a conversion formula, you first need to identify the units of the quantities you want to convert. Then, use the conversion factors between the units to set up the equation. Finally, solve the equation to obtain the conversion formula.

4. Can I use existing conversion formulas or do I need to create my own?

There are many existing conversion formulas available for common units of measurement. However, if you need to convert between less common or specialized units, you may need to create your own conversion formula. It is always important to double-check the accuracy of any existing formula before using it.

5. Are there any resources or tools available to assist in creating conversion formulas?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to help with creating conversion formulas. Online conversion calculators, conversion tables, and textbooks can all be useful in finding and creating accurate conversion formulas. Additionally, consulting with a scientist or mathematician can also provide valuable insight and assistance.

Back