1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conversion of Galvanometer to Ammeter

1. Dec 16, 2011 #1
    This is kind of a stupid question but...to measure high currents, a galvanometer is connected parallel to a shunt resistance so that most of the current passes through the shunt resistance but only a small amount of current passes through the galvanometer. But wouldn't this defeat the purpose of measuring a large current? Since only a small current is being measured. :|

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Think of it as measuring a known portion of the current. Anyway, you can easily figure out what the large current is from the measurement. When measuring the current in a power line, it is very inconvenient and costly to flow the entire current (at a high voltage) through your meter.

Pretty much all Ammeters are actually galvanometers with a shunt. Or galvanometers connected to coils to measure the magnetic field caused by the current.

4. Dec 16, 2011 #3
    How would you figure out the larger current? Won't the values of the two be different?

Sorry, I'm a little confused here

5. Dec 16, 2011 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Say you have a galvanometer with a resistance of 1 ohm. You make your shunt 1 ohm as well. Then half of the current goes each way. Your meter measures half the current, so you multiply it by 2 to get the whole current. Usually the shunt resistance is made smaller so only a tenth, hundredth or thousandth of the current goes through the meter.

6. Dec 16, 2011 #5
    Oh, I get it now. Thanks!

7. Dec 16, 2011 #6

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Most welcome! I forgot to mention convenience. When you need a meter to measure current, you don't need to order one specifically for the range required. Any meter will work with the correct shunt. A meter with multiple current ranges just switches in different shunts. Very handy!

8. Jan 27, 2012 #7
    can the range of an ammeter be decreased ??????
    @Delphi51 in the above comment you said that we don't need ammeter of a particular range . i comprehend that as by connecting a shunt the range can be increased . but for a given purticular ammeter is there any way that the range might be decreased ... i refered a book which says that the range can never be decreased but one of my mentors says that the range can be increased . HELP

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook