Value of resistor for full scale deflection with 10A

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for full scale deflection in a galvanometer, including the necessary coil current and resistance. Two problems are presented: finding the value of a resistor to be connected in parallel with the meter for a total current of 10A, and determining the value of a resistor to be connected in series with the meter for a total voltage of 120V. The equations and sketches are needed to solve these problems. Further effort is needed to provide a complete solution.
SpiraRoam

Homework Statement

In order to provide full scale deflection the coil current required in a galvanometer is 190μA and the resistance of the coil in the galvanometer is 35Ω

- What is the value of the resistor to be connected in parallel with the meter so that full scale deflection is obtained when the total current passing is 10A?

- Determine the value of the resistor to be connected in series with the meter so that full scale deflection is obtained when the total voltage connected is 120V

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

The galvanometer has it's own range for deflection. All I know about deflection is that it converts electrical energy to mechanical?

Physics news on Phys.org
Day3091 said:

Homework Statement

In order to provide full scale deflection the coil current required in a galvanometer is 190μA and the resistance of the coil in the galvanometer is 35Ω

- What is the value of the resistor to be connected in parallel with the meter so that full scale deflection is obtained when the total current passing is 10A?

- Determine the value of the resistor to be connected in series with the meter so that full scale deflection is obtained when the total voltage connected is 120V

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

The galvanometer has it's own range for deflection. All I know about deflection is that it converts electrical energy to mechanical?
Please draw sketches of the two problems, and show the equations that you would use to find the answers. Please show a bit more effort in this. Thanks.

1. What is the purpose of a resistor in full scale deflection with 10A?

A resistor is used to limit the flow of current in a circuit. In the case of full scale deflection with 10A, the resistor is used to limit the amount of current flowing through the circuit to ensure the instrument does not become damaged.

2. How do I calculate the value of resistor needed for full scale deflection with 10A?

The value of resistor needed for full scale deflection with 10A can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). So, the formula for calculating the resistor value would be R = V/I. In this case, the voltage would be the maximum voltage the instrument can handle and the current would be 10A.

3. What happens if the value of resistor used for full scale deflection with 10A is too high?

If the value of resistor used for full scale deflection with 10A is too high, it will limit the flow of current too much, resulting in a lower reading on the instrument. This can lead to inaccurate readings and potentially damage the instrument.

4. What happens if the value of resistor used for full scale deflection with 10A is too low?

If the value of resistor used for full scale deflection with 10A is too low, it will not limit the flow of current enough, resulting in a higher reading on the instrument. This can also lead to inaccurate readings and potential damage to the instrument.

5. Can I use a different value of resistor for full scale deflection with 10A?

Yes, you can use a different value of resistor for full scale deflection with 10A, as long as it is within the safe range for the instrument and it still limits the flow of current appropriately. However, it is important to carefully calculate and select the correct value of resistor to ensure accurate readings and avoid potential damage to the instrument.