1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conversion of one ionic compound to another.

1. Aug 16, 2009 #1
    Ok so i'm doing chemistry 1 at uni and have done my first practical. I haven't much background at all in chemistry as I have taken it as an elective for my BEng(elec). I am finding it rather confusing with so many words to remember and so many links to be made between those words to understand. Perhaps i'm a stupid ape?

Here are the questions and my answers:::

Potassium carbonate to zinc carbonate:
    Mix together aqueous solutions of Potassium carbonate and Zinc Nitrate then filter out the precipitated Zinc carbonate.

Magnesium sulfate to magnesium hydroxide:
    Mix together aqueous solutions of magnesium sulfate and sodium hydrixide. Magnesium hydroxide isolated by filtration.

Lead nitrate to sodium nitrate:
    Mix aqueous solutions of lead nitrate and sodium chloride together then filter out the lead chloride and evaporate the water from the resultant filtrate to get a hydrated sodium nitrate.

Please I have no idea if these are right but these are the answers that make sense to me at the moment hence the best i can do at the moment so please give some feedback. Thankyou

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Those are ionic rearrangment reactions. Review your solubility rules. If precipitates form, then they may be filtered to separate them from the rest of the resulting solution. Note that some (many?) chlorides of heavy metals are insoluble.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook