Convert car exhaust NOx emissions from g/mile to ppm

  • Topic: Automotive 
  • Thread starter Thread starter tmerc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Car Emissions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
tmerc
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Can anyone help me out and tell me what the average amount of ppm of NOx is in car exhaust with a catalytic converter? I found .4 grams per mile and can't seem to find any kind of conversion, but I am trying to compare it to another ppm measurement so it needs to be in ppm.

Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What's fuel consumption/efficiency? How much air to combust that much fuel?
 
lets say its a 30 mpg car with an air consumption of .2 kg/min
 
That's how many gallons to drive a mile? And how much air to burn it? I'm not going to do the arithmetic for you --- I'll talk you through the layout.
 
so at 30 mpg, itd be .033 gallons per mile. how could i find how much air it takes to burn it?
 
What's the mass of 0.033 gallons? Figure what --- CH1.5 for a stoichiometry, around 36 g/mol for the fuel. How much oxygen do you need to turn that into carbon dioxide plus water? How much air to furnish that much oxygen? What's the mass of that much air? What's the sum of the masses of fuel and air?