Convert Change in Temp from Celsius to Fahrenheit

In summary, the problem involves finding the expected rise in temperature of water in both Celsius and Fahrenheit degrees, given the mass of the blocks and the distance they fall. The work done and temperature change values were calculated but may need to be checked for accuracy. The conversion formula for Celsius to Fahrenheit should be used to solve part (b) of the problem.
Sondra

Homework Statement

Consider the apparatus that Joule used in his experiments on the mechanical equivalent of heat, shown in the figure below. Suppose both blocks have a mass of 0.69 kg and that they fall through a distance of 0.45 m.

Homework Equations

(a) Find the expected rise in temperature of the water given that 6200 J are needed for every 1.0° C increase. Give your answer in Celsius degrees.
(b) Find the rise in temperature in Fahrenheit degrees.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Work=2blocks (mgh) = 6.086J
Change in temp= W(1 celsius/6200J)= 9.82e-3
b) I tried converting 1 celsius to fahrenheit so my equation was:
Change in temp= W(33.8/6200J) = 0.033 F but that isn't correct.
I don't know how to do this part of the problem. Any and all help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sondra, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Your part (a) work done looks good (provided that I'm interpreting the question properly without seeing the figure), but check your temperature change value; it looks like your order of magnitude may be off.

You should be able to find the Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion formula with a quick Google search.

Sondra said:

Homework Statement

Consider the apparatus that Joule used in his experiments on the mechanical equivalent of heat, shown in the figure below. Suppose both blocks have a mass of 0.69 kg and that they fall through a distance of 0.45 m.

Homework Equations

(a) Find the expected rise in temperature of the water given that 6200 J are needed for every 1.0° C increase. Give your answer in Celsius degrees.
(b) Find the rise in temperature in Fahrenheit degrees.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Work=2blocks (mgh) = 6.086J
Change in temp= W(1 celsius/6200J)= 9.82e-3
You might want to check your arithmetic here.
b) I tried converting 1 celsius to fahrenheit so my equation was:
Change in temp= W(33.8/6200J) = 0.033 F but that isn't correct.
I don't know how to do this part of the problem. Any and all help is appreciated

It's not clear what the factor 33.8 represents.

Also, you should know that 100 celsius degrees = 180 fahrenheit degrees (these are the difference in temperatures between freezing water and boiling water measured in the two scales.)

1. What is the formula for converting temperature from Celsius to Fahrenheit?

The formula for converting temperature from Celsius to Fahrenheit is: F = (C * 9/5) + 32 where F is the temperature in Fahrenheit and C is the temperature in Celsius.

2. Why would I need to convert temperature from Celsius to Fahrenheit?

In some countries, temperature is measured in Celsius while in others it is measured in Fahrenheit. Converting between the two units allows for easier comparison and understanding of temperature readings.

3. Can I use an online converter to convert temperature from Celsius to Fahrenheit?

Yes, there are many online converters available that can quickly and accurately convert temperature from Celsius to Fahrenheit. Just make sure to double check the results to ensure accuracy.

4. Is there an easy way to estimate the conversion from Celsius to Fahrenheit?

Yes, there is a simple method to estimate the conversion from Celsius to Fahrenheit. Take the temperature in Celsius, double it, and add 30. This will give you a rough estimate of the temperature in Fahrenheit.

5. Do I need to include units when converting temperature from Celsius to Fahrenheit?

Yes, it is important to include units when converting temperature from Celsius to Fahrenheit to avoid confusion. Make sure to specify whether the temperature is in Celsius or Fahrenheit when communicating the converted value.