1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convert Change in Temp from Celsius to Fahrenheit

Tags:
  1. Oct 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the apparatus that Joule used in his experiments on the mechanical equivalent of heat, shown in the figure below. Suppose both blocks have a mass of 0.69 kg and that they fall through a distance of 0.45 m.

2. Relevant equations
    (a) Find the expected rise in temperature of the water given that 6200 J are needed for every 1.0° C increase. Give your answer in Celsius degrees.
    (b) Find the rise in temperature in Fahrenheit degrees.

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) Work=2blocks (mgh) = 6.086J
    Change in temp= W(1 celsius/6200J)= 9.82e-3
    b) I tried converting 1 celsius to fahrenheit so my equation was:
    Change in temp= W(33.8/6200J) = 0.033 F but that isnt correct.
    I dont know how to do this part of the problem. Any and all help is appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi Sondra, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Your part (a) work done looks good (provided that I'm interpreting the question properly without seeing the figure), but check your temperature change value; it looks like your order of magnitude may be off.

You should be able to find the Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion formula with a quick Google search.

4. Oct 20, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might want to check your arithmetic here.
    It's not clear what the factor 33.8 represents.

Also, you should know that 100 celsius degrees = 180 fahrenheit degrees (these are the difference in temperatures between freezing water and boiling water measured in the two scales.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted