Temperature Conversion: Increase a Sample by 43.8 Degrees Celsius

• Thread starter portofino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, to increase a sample by 43.8 degrees Celsius, the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit when the desired temperature increase has been achieved is 141.54 degrees Fahrenheit. This is found by converting the temperature in Celsius to Fahrenheit, finding the difference in Fahrenheit equivalents, and adding it to the initial temperature in Fahrenheit.
portofino

Homework Statement

i feel rather stupid posting this, but i can't seem to figure it out:

increase a sample by 43.8 degrees celsius. if the sample is already 62.7 degrees fahrenheit, what is the temperature in degrees fahrenheit when the desired temperature increase has been achieved?

Homework Equations

Tf = (9/5)*Tc+32 where Tc is temperature in celsius and Tf is temperature in fahrenheit

The Attempt at a Solution

convert 43.8 celsius to fahrenheit:

Tf = (9/5)(43.8+32) = 110.84 fahr.

sum initial temp and converted temp:

Tfinal = 110.84 + 62.7 = 173.54 fahr.

i know that the answer is NOT 173.54 fahr because the "temperature change does not depend on the freezing point of water." what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you need to find out is the change in Fahrenheit that corresponds to the change in Celsius. What you have worked out is simply the equivalent temp in Fahrenheit for a given temp in Celsius.

do you mean i do the difference between 173.54 - 62.7 = 110.84? isn't that the change fahrenheit?

No I mean you have a change in Celsius of 43.8 degrees. That is the difference between some final temperature and some initial temperature. You will have to work out Fahreheit for the initial and final and find the difference. It doesn't matter what numbers you choose as long as they differ by 43.8 degrees Celsius.

i am still confused. isn't 110.84 the fahrenheit temperature difference equivalent to 43.8 celsius?

so couldn't i chose 0 deg fahr. as the initial and 110.84 deg fahr. as the final temperatures?

what formula should i be using, is the one i listed in the original post the correct one?

No 110.84 is the Fahrenheit equivalent temperature as 43.8 Celsius not the equivalent temperature difference.

You could chose 0 degrees Celsius as the initial and 43.8 as the final, find the Fahrenheit equivalents and then find the equivalent Fahrenheit difference.

so 0 deg celsius = 32 fahr, 43.8 deg celsius = 110.84 fahr

so the fahrenheit difference is 110.84 - 32 = 78.84 fahr. thus the temp when the desired temp increase has been achieved is 62.7 + 78.84 = 141.54 fahrenheit

correct?

Looks good to me. :smile:

thanks, it was correct

1. How do I convert Celsius to Fahrenheit?

To convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit, use the formula F = (C * 9/5) + 32, where F is the temperature in Fahrenheit and C is the temperature in Celsius.

2. How do I convert Fahrenheit to Celsius?

To convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius, use the formula C = (F - 32) * 5/9, where C is the temperature in Celsius and F is the temperature in Fahrenheit.

3. What is the difference between Celsius and Fahrenheit?

Celsius and Fahrenheit are two different scales used to measure temperature. Celsius is based on the metric system and is commonly used in scientific measurements. Fahrenheit is based on the imperial system and is commonly used in the United States. The freezing point of water is 0 degrees Celsius and 32 degrees Fahrenheit, and the boiling point of water is 100 degrees Celsius and 212 degrees Fahrenheit.

4. How do I convert from Celsius to Kelvin?

To convert from Celsius to Kelvin, simply add 273.15 to the temperature in Celsius. Kelvin is a unit of measurement for temperature that is commonly used in scientific calculations.

5. How do I convert from Kelvin to Celsius?

To convert from Kelvin to Celsius, subtract 273.15 from the temperature in Kelvin. Kelvin and Celsius are both based on the same scale, with a difference of 273.15 degrees between them. This means that 0 degrees Kelvin is equal to -273.15 degrees Celsius.